Question

KarmaKarma71

Is a REMOVED authorized user account hurting my score?
I was an AU on my brother's credit card for one year and was removed from it 1.5 years ago. On CK and the bureaus it shows a balance of $9800 on 10k. I don't need the AAoA and the history was perfect.

I can't seem to get the right answer about if an AU account with a high balance that has already been removed is hurting my credit score. CK indicates it is showing a high balance and is hurting my score. Does someone know exactly in this case?

Thanks in advance!!

Most Helpful Response

Yes it would be hurting your credit score. A balance of $9,800 on a $10,000 credit card is 98% credit card utilization (you should never be over 30% credit card utilization)... but also if you are no longer an authorized user, then that account shouln't even show up on your credit report.

"Should I dispute it and will the bureaus remove it?"

The credit bureaus should be able to remove the account from your credit report.

Source: Through some research, I found this from Experian's website (most relevant is highlighted in bold)

An authorized user is not responsible for the debt. However, authorized user accounts will be listed on an Experian credit report as long as the account is current and positive.

Please understand that the credit reporting companies report the history, but do not have the role to “take into account” what is reported. Such decisions are up to the users of the reports.

Most users rely on one or more scoring models to help evaluate the history. Credit score developers determine whether their scoring systems will include authorized user accounts in the calculation. Some credit scoring systems include authorized user accounts in the calculation and others do not.

If you are concerned about the impact on your credit history, you should contact the creditors and ask to be removed from the account.

Unlike being a joint account holder when you share responsibility for the debt, creditors will typically remove you as an authorized user upon request because you have no responsibility for payment. Experian also will remove the account from your credit report at your request or if you are no longer reported as an authorized user.