I have a lot of inquiries, and a low credit score. I am 21 and trying to build my credit.
I can not get approved for anything!

Most Helpful Response

First off, you need to stop applying for credit. Each time you apply and get denied, your credit score gets lower and lower. Hard inquiries stay on your credit for 2 years so you need to wait and let those go away. Build your credit based on what you already have. I assume you already have at least one credit card or other accounts because otherwise you couldn't have a low score. If you have credit cards, pay them off and after they are paid off regularly use them to purchase gas or groceries and pay it off in full each month. After about 6 months of that call your credit card company and ask them to increase your credit line which will increase your credit score.

Run your credit report at to see if you have any other negatives on your account. If you have accounts in collections, pay them off. If you have a car payment or student loan payments, make sure to pay them on time every month.

One of the big things they look at is your debt-to-income ratio, so if you have current debt you just have to work that out month by month. Once your credit starts to go up and some hard inquiries start falling off, go pay to have your FICO score ran and that will give you a more accurate picture of your true credit score and if it is good enough then apply for more credit. I don't know the full details of your credit history so my advice might not be on point, but all I can say is it is a slow and arduous process, but you will get there. Be happy you care at 21, most people don't care until they are older, but if you start now and are consistent you can have a great score in a few years. Keep at it and good luck. If you give more specific details, I can try to better tailor my advice.

Good answer.  The only thing I would add, is to use one card as high as possible that you can pay off in full every month.  If you are near the limit each month, most card companies will automatically increase your limit every few months.  My wife has only one card in just her name and that is what she did.