Question

jmullins525

I co-signed on a car for my ex that has been repo'd. Should I settle remaining debt?
I was forced to co-sign on a loan for a car for my then husband. We got divorced six months later, he filed for ch. 13 bankruptcy a couple of years later and the car got repossessed a couple of months ago. The remaining balance after they sold the car is $9900. I've negotiated a $6500 settlement with them but I want to make sure this is the best option to improve my credit score. I've never even driven the car, so paying off the debt is not my first choice but obviously my ex isn't going to take care of it. He claims he is going to assume the debt then file for ch. 7 which sounds like a very unlikely scenario, in my opinion.