Posted in Auto Insurance

How to get a decent price after not having insurance for awhile?
I have a car that I make a $267.00 payment on. Well after driving over a curb the drive shaft on the car was bent. I couldn't drive it at speeds over 10mph without it shaking violently.

Due to some medical issues and medical bills I put off fixing my car and it sat broke down in a garage for at least 6 months so I decided to take the insurance off of the car because i needed the money and knew the car would not be driven for awhile.

Fast forward to now I finally have it fixed. I went online to get quotes but the price to insure it now went from what was already a ridiculous amount to double.

Why? is there anything I can do? I do not want to pay almost $200 when I really only drive approx less than 50 miles per month anyways.

Tips from an insurance agent

I work for a well known insurance company, and unfortunatly, there isn't much you can do with the gap in the insurance coverage.  Believe me, if i have to talk to someone who has to pay higher rates because of this, I feel bad.  Especially when they don't have a car or anything they need to insure.  The best thing I can tell you is to try to keep your policy active.  Even if you don't have a car.  Or possibly look into a non owners policy.  Another idea is if your parents or relative can put you on their insurance so you don't have that gap, and when you get a vehicle, you can get your own policy.  Don't let someone cover you and your vehicle if you do not live with them though.  That is insurance fraud and you can get into some trouble with that.  Other than that, the best rates will go to those who maintain insurance for 6 or more years without a gap in coverage.  6 months of cont. insurance coverage helps, but not by a big difference.  If you can get a year, at least of cont. insurance coverage, then shop around for better rate.  Insurance companies can't match your quote, but at least it will allow you to get other insurance elsewhere without having to pay the higher rates.  And one HUGE rating factor for credit. If you have poor credit, you will pay a HIGH amount for insurance.  So if at all possible, try to keep your score up.  Another idea is if you have insurance, but bought it when your credit wasn't the greatest, call the carrier to see if they will repull it and give you a better rate.  They can't do this in all states when requested, but some allow it.  I know the company I work for does it every year or 2 automatically depending on the state.  The bright side is that there are only a few states that will raise your rate after the fact.  if your credit gets worse, it doesn't usually effect the premium at renewals.  But never hurts to call in and ask about it.  Hope this helps.  :)

Most Helpful Response

Just Shop

I went through a similar situation myself. I finally realized that without having insurance in the past 30 days, my options were limited. Understanding this, I shopped around online to find the cheapest, least amount of insurance coverage required by my state. I ended up going with Esurance, initially. After my 6-month policy was up, I shopped again, this time being offered a better deal by progressive for much more coverage.

Insurance Agent Response

I would recommend checking with an independent agency that represents many insurance companies. Some companies will give you a break on the rates if you were "innocent without prior" meaning you didn't have insurance because you didn't legally need it.

Having said that, however, in several (if not most) states if the car was registered at the time that your insurance lapsed, you were probably still legally required to carry insurance on it. Unfortunately there is not much you can do but pay a little more for a while. If, however, you were not legally required to provide insurance on the car according to your state laws, you could very likely be in luck and be able to reap the benefits of "innocent without prior."

Worst case scenario, you have to go with a substandard company or a direct writing company for a year while you rebuild your insurance history. Once you have a solid year of continuous insurance coverage under your belt, you'll be eligible for many other standard companies with lower rates.

Good luck!

Insurance rates can fluctuate based on any number of things. Did you ever report the accident to your previous insurance? What's your driving record like? Did you contact your old insurance company? Usually people don't totally cancel their policies when they store cars, you can change your policy to reflect that the car isn't on the road.

Basically extorsion

Same thing here. If you don't pay their monthly extorsion fee and let it go more than 30 days they rake you over the coals. It's an insane system allowing for legal extorsion effecting those who can afford it least, the most.

A Few Ideas

There are a lot of different ways you can try to lower the cost of your auto insurance like rasing your deductible or asking about discounts as you shop around. I found this post helpful when shopping around for my Auto insurance:

See if you can join any organizations or qualify for any discounts.  Those are the quickest ways to drop your insurance rates.

Other than that, just get quotes from a lot of different places until you find the one you like (don't use quote sites that run credit checks, however!)

no vehicle no insurance

I haven't had a vehicle for 3years so I have no reason for ins so why should it effect my credit score.

Go to State Farm - they will make you jump through hoops to verify that you were not driving uninsured but as long as you can prove that they dont surcharge for insurance gaps like other companies do.   However, if you have driven uninsured, they will not accept you until you have been insured somewhere else for at least 6 months.

unused vehuchule

call al local insurance agent and explain the itution you od noy havvvr to carryins, on a vehichu=ile yhay hhad not been usanlr.

Even though you may not have been using the vehicle most states still require that you carry insurance. I think it's stupid but if you think about it like this it makes sense. If your car isn't being used and you have it parked in your driveway, in front of your house, etc. And some idiot comes barreling down the road and hits your car, though it's more likely their fault, you would need to file an insurance claim or else you wouldn't get your vehicle fixed or replaced due to the simple fact that all the other driver has to say is that your vehicle shouldn't have been parked there and you should have insurance if it's going to be parked anywhere it could be in an accident.......which nowadays is anywhere.