Question

AdrianKarma

How to ensure a card for which I am an "authorized user" will show up in my credit?
To improve my credit, I have been added as an "authorized user" for one of my mother's very favorable credit lines. I know this is supposed to show up on my credit rating, but it has yet to do so. I am also a little confused, because the credit card company added me as an authorized user simply by taking my name (no address, no SSN, etc.). I don't see how such minimal information is supposed to successfully link my credit report to this credit account. Is there anything I am supposed to do to ensure this link? And how long before this credit account begins to show up in my credit report?

Most Helpful Response

You don't say how long ago this was, but if it was less than 30 days ago, it may take a few more weeks to show up on your report.  Also, do you know for sure that your mother's card reports to all 3 bureaus?  Credit Karma gets their info from TransUnion, so if they don't report to TU, it won't show up here.  If it's been a couple months, then call them back and tell them you want to "update" your info with your address, maybe that will help it show up.

Addison170

Oh, one more thing.  If you have different last names and different addresses, you may need to give proof to the credit card issuer that you are related.  They no longer report authorized user accounts unless they know for sure the AU is related to the card holder.

AdrianKarma

Thanks for your help.  It was just about a week ago, so it sounds like it's too early to expect to see it.  I would like to make sure that I've done it right, though, so that I don't have to wait months before I figure out that something was done wrong.

It's a Chase card.  I don't know exactly which credit bureaus they report to, but I'd assume it's most likely all 3.  When my mother requested to place me as an authorized user, they ONLY asked for my name.  No address, no question of my relation to her.  They then just sent the card to her address (with my name on it) within two days.  It seems to me they just printed out a card with any name she told them, and nothing has been done to even verify I am a real person... much less connect this card to my current credit status.  My mother and I do not have the same last name, and the credit company only has her address.  Should she follow up with them and somehow insist they do more to connect me (as a person, not just as a name) to this card?  Or should I just wait a couple months and see if it eventually somehow shows up on my credit report?

Thanks a ton for your help! :)