Question

kwozz48

How much of my spending limit should I spend?
I just got my first credit card and have a $1500 credit line. Someone told me I should only spend around 20% of my credit line, or it could hurt my credit score. Is that true, and if so can you explain why that is?
Thanks!

Maxing your score

#1.  Staying under 20% of the limit is definitely good advice.  You can certainly use more but you want to avoid retaining a balance greater than 20%.  If you are going to carry a balance, it may be worth going through the trouble to contact your credit card company to determine what their "Reporting date" is which is different than your due date.  In other words, you might charge $1,000 and pay it off a week before the due date (say the 15th).  If, however, the credit card companies date that they report to the bureau is the 7th on your card, then your $1,000 charge would be there for 30 days regardless of the paid down balance.  Hope that makes sense... 

#2.  A tiny reported balance can trump a zero balance. According to Barry Paperno, consumer operations manager for FICO, "In short, the lower a consumer's credit utilization, the better, but having a small balance is slightly better than having no balance at all,"  Those with a credit score of 800 use only 7% of their available credit, on average, according to myFiCO.com. 

In other words, a teeny charge does a FICO score good. Use the card on an inexpensive item and then pay off the balance when you receive the bill. The small reported balance will help your score, and you'll avoid finance charges at the same time.

Hope that provides further clarity.

You only want to spend what you can pay off in full when you get the statement.

You Never Ever  want to carry a balance from one month to another.

Hi kwozz48,

Experts typically recommend using no more than 30% of your available limit. Please read this article as it answers your questions about credit card utilization rates: https://www.creditkarma.com/article/credit-card-utilization
Hope that helps!