Question

jdorje

How do I remove a credit card that I was once an authorized user of - soon to be ex spouse's card?
I was an authorized user on my soon to be ex-husband's credit card. I am no longer a user, do not have access to the card but the high balance on the card is pulling my credit score down - how do I get this removed from my credit report?
Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

The account owner can remove you

I believe the account owner (your soon to be ex) needs to contact the company and ask for you to be removed as an authorized user.  It is my understanding that being listed as an authorized user on a card does have an impact on your FICO score - I see it recommended all the time for people with no credit history (e.g. young adults) to ask their parents to list them as authorized users so they can start building their credit profile.  Maybe that just counts towards establishing credit history though and does not have an impact on score modeling.  Either way - only the account owner can remove you as an authorized user and once that is done it will drop off your credit report. 

niashukla

Hi, I was in a similar situation and I got my husband to take me off the card, which he did. But credit karma still reports that card on my credit. What shoud I do next?

It doesn't affect your credit

As an authorized user, you are not liable to pay back the debt on the card. So FICO nor Vantage Score include this in there scoring model. If it is pulling your score down, you are more than likely part of a 'joint account' with him in which you are liable. If that is the case, the only way to get off that account is to close it and have him open one of his own.