How do I quickly increase credit score with little history, that little history is bad.

I have negative credit history, foreclosure among other things, and I have never had a credit card or car loan. I've always just bought things with what I have saved up. I just signed up for Credit Karma and I don't have very many accounts. I have very little negative history but that's really the only history I have, negative. Would a quick way to increase my score be to open a secured card? say $2-300 and make payments every month? I'm not really looking to buy a house or a car any time soon but it is part of my 10 year plan. I know the foreclosure will drop off of my credit in about 3 years but I wanted to know a good way to increase my score immediately.