Question

KeerstinM

how can i build on my "young" credit?
in april of 2013 i pulled a loan with my grandpa as the cosigner. it was for 6000. i made my monthly payments every month on time, until december 13th 2013 when i sold the car and paid off the loan entirely. my score increased from 0 to 677 (score on the date of pay off) my score is now 678. i understand i have young credit, and even though i have made all the payments on time, its still not exactly all i need. i have a full time job, and bring home about 29,000 a year. i currently have zero debt to anyone.

my question is how do i continue to build credit from here?

walmart wont give me a credit card do to young credit, my credit union wont give me another vehicle loan in the amount i requested to get a more suitable vehicle for me, without another co signer and i would like to do it myself. ( i live in the country and my car couldnt handle it.)

i have come up with some ideas and was wondering how it would look in the long run.
is it tougher to get a personal loan then it is to get a car loan? could i pull a small 2500-3000 personal loan?

or should i just try to start a small line of credit through my credit union?

Most Helpful Response

get a credit card you need 2 lines of credit.....you can go with your credit union if you want but MAKE SURE TO ASK if they report to all 3 bureaus some CU's only report to 1 if that is the case with your CU go to capitalone.com and get the Capital one Quicksilver One card the master card version for average credit comes with a $29 annual fee but with 1.5% cashback as long as you spend $2600 per year the cashback pays for itself and make sure to keep utilization below 20% ie:$500 put no more then $100 per month to maximize score potential then afterwards you can take out a small personal loan for 2-3k to boost your credit even further

so i got a visa car through my bank with a 500$ limit. my credit score remand the same. 

i did the "see if you qualify" for america's tire company and they automaticly said "yeay yy your aproved for 500$" which i didnt need, nor want, i only filled out the app, as a back up plan if my bank OSU federal CU) wouldnt give me a card, anyways, when it finally hit my account on here- my score dropped 18 friggin points!!!! now what?? will it go up with my visa? should i not use the americas tire card? i am not back to 660 and was hoping for a car loan.

my bank had previously told me "i see no problem with getting a bigger car loan if you sell your current car and pay it off your current load" 

also, how long will it take for credit karma to recognize that my car loan is paid off?