Goodwill Adjustment - Creditor Approved, Collection Agency Said No.
Had a 3 year old dentist bill land on my Experian report last week which nuked my credit score by 88 points overnight! This was especially frustrating because I had planned to apply for a car loan at my credit union that day (literally ... that day).

To be clear, the bill is valid. I absolutely owed that money, and I forgot. Toward that end, I paid the dentist the moment I was reminded of the debt. I am now paid in full.

A couple days later, I sent a good will adjustment letter to the dentist requesting they remove the derogatory remark from my credit report and followed up with a phone call today. The woman I spoke with said they were okay with a goodwill adjustment and asked the collection agency to do so. They are saying the collection agency told them it could not be done, and thus refused. When I told the woman that I was almost 100% positive the decision was theirs, not the collection agency's, all she could say was she would call them again and read them my letter.

I completely get that the dentist may not want to do the adjustment and are looking to avoid a fight by blaming the collection agency because everyone hates the collection agencies already.

But let's take the dentist office at their word. Is there any grounds for the collection agency to refuse? Where can I find some reputable sources on the subject to point the dentist at? Any suggestions on further follow up?