Question

Ringidog

do bad credit reports automatically come off after 7 years?
I still get collection calls on an account that is probably 15 years old. You pull your credit file and there is probably 10 collection agencies in relation to 1 account. How long can they continue to pass these accounts around.

All this advise is pretty much wrong. The credit items that are negative on your account, the tradelines, have to come off your credit report after 7 years from the start of the Original debt its for, or the LAST time you paid them. That last date is the starting clock. They can sell to new creditors as many times as they want, as long as you don't pay them anything, then they CAN NOT start over the clock. The 7 years time is still ticking, and after its must be droppped from your credit report. This doesnt always happen automatically, so you might have to write to request it. Its the law. Of course old debts keep getting sold and resold for pennies, and they still try to collect, but it doesnt affect your credit, and they have no legal power to collect. The debt is no longer valid. Letting them know you you know that usually stops them from bothering you.

nking0

This is almost correct. Although items must be removed from your credit report after 7 years of inactivity, you can be sued for them until the statute of limitations expires. The statute of limitations varies from state to state; for instance, in Illinois, the statute of limitations is 10 years. This means that while debts should be removed from your credit report after 7 years of inactivity, you can be sued for the debt for up to 10 years.

hennesseyg

This is absolutely correct regarding when bad debt falls off.

SCHOOL LOANS

Good Morning All,

My question is about school loans that have been sold/closed and yet they are showing up on the your credit report.  They are not bad debts and they have a $0 balance.  They were last reported on back in 09/2006.  Is there anyway that this can be removed from your credit report.  It is just to much unneccessary information on my report that I can't really tell the bad stuff from the good stuff.  SMH.

Credit?

I always thought medical bills did not effect your credit score? Is that wrong apparently?
My father after my parents divorced decided to use my info for electric and cable bills, also set up a joint account without my knowledge and for most of these I was under 18. When I moved out and wanted these services in my name I was very shocked to find out that I owed over $500 for cable and over $3,000 for gas and electric. Not only am I upset with these companies as they told me flat out I would have to pay these balances in order to get service or basically have my father arrested. I am very close with my dad, and i understand the problems he faced raising children after a divorce. I am disappointed yes that he used my ss# and now my credit score is 560, which I cannot get any credit cards, even a car to get to work. So basically when I started out as an adult I was denied student loans, car, a mortgage etc. All of this but I don't have the heart to go as far as taking legal action against my dad.
I mean does anyone know if after this long would it matter if I filed a report? Most of the items are off my report, except the electric bill. I think it keeps re starting as the date is recent like the other posts mention. I mean would they literally arrest him? Or how does that work? My score is so low though from all of these charge offs he made even though they are off it, but how can I get it back up to buy a house or car. I mean I may be 50 by the time I work the score back up. I have a small limit credit card being raped with 25% Apr and low credit limit and a secure credit card. But it has been a year and the score has only gone up 3 points..this is crazy....any suggestions?

Legolas11

Getting the collections paid or off your report for one will help, can't say if they will arrest your dad but your identity was stolen and should be reported too get them removed off your account, or save up and pay them off. I found with credit cards don't go higher than 25 too 30 percent of the balance and pay them off in full each month. My credit score was lower than yours at around 520, I worked at paying off some collections got a capital one card with 200 deposit and eight months later got another card. Year later my score has jumped too 700. You can raise your credit limit without having them rape you, I found for me I use the 25 to 30 percent too pay my regular bills I pay each month, whether it is cell phone, gas, etc. Then schedule too pay it off on your due date credit usually will go up in time and you pay no interest.

freakeygurl

Not sure if anyone replied but he would be arrested and charged with identity theft

Most Helpful Response

you are confusing your terms...

a credit report shows all of your current credit accounts and your payment history on each..

each entry is called a tradeline, and negative tradelines, can stay on your report for 7 years, like with a past due bill you paid late from 2003.

But, something like Federal Judgements can stay on indefinately, especially in cases of criminal activity that caused the problem, or in the cases of Bankruptcy which can stay on as long as 10 years.

one thing to keep in mind. a creditor normally has 7 years to collect on a debt, before it ages off your report.. In most cases the original creditor makes a few attempts over the next 6-12 months to contact you regarding your debt. If they don't get anything during that time, then the debt is sold to a 'collection agency' who;s sole mission in life is to take money from consumers that do not know the law..

so, then a few months later you start getting calls from someone claiming to be from the original creditor, and as soon as they have verified you are the chump they are looking for, then they open a new tradeline and the collection clock starts all over again, and even though that bill you should have paid in 2003, would have dropped off in 2010, now you have a new line for the same debt, but this one started in 2005, so now you have 2 times the damage to your report, and another 2 years to put up with the calls. Every time that debt is sold, a new company will try to wrangle some cash out of you, and the moment, the very second they confirm you are who they are looking for, BINGO.. a new tradeline appears on your report, and the 7 year collection clock starts all over again.

realize one thing.. NOTHING YOU DO AT THIS POINT WILL MAKE THIS A POSITIVE LINE ON YOUR CREDIT.

even if you paid the line in full now, it would go to the collector that bought the debt, not the original creditor, and that COLLECTIONS line will still be there..

stop talking to people about your debts over the phone,

make every payment on time, every time.

do all of your business in writing,

the only reason you should ever be calling any creditor is to get a contact persons name, mailing addrss and direct dial telephone number.

It is always easier to avoid new tradelines being created than it is to get a collection agents tradeline removed once it hits your file..

give no info out over the phone unless you made the call and have an established relationship with the person you are calling. If they call you, or you arent sure if the person you are talking with can help you resolve the problem at hand, then HANG UP THE PHONE!

mheppinstall

what great straight info! My hat's off to you.

JenRamirez1984

What about it you have had ABSOLUTELY no contact with a collection agengy? When I look on my credit report there's an account which isn't the original debtor and 'opened' the collection with a new date (5 years after the orignal date) without even contacting me? Can they do that? 

how to get an item off after 7 yrs.

so i contact the credit breau to get the items removed after 7 yrs. or who do i contact instead

negative reports

I have a few debts that are over 7 years showing up on my credit report, although the last "reporting date" is more recent.   Also the statute of limitations in my state is 4 years.   How do I go about getting these negative reports that are over 7 years off my credit report?

There are a few things you should do.

If someone calls you saying you owe them money you should.

1) Demand a debt validation letter (They are REQUIRED to give this to you if you request it). If they refuse tell them that the Fair Debt Collection Act requires them to give you this letter. If they threaten to ruin your credit tell them that if they do you will sue them and it will cost them alot more than the money they claim you owe them. If they still refuse hang up on them and report them to your Attorney General.

2) If you work out a settlement DO NOT GIVE THEM ELECTRONIC ACCESS TO YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT. They will clean you out. Get them to send you a a letter stating the terms of the agreement and their assurance that X amount is settlement in full. When you get the letter send them the funds via Western Union or even a cashiers check and overnight it to the address of the company return receipt requested.

3) Keep this letter and a copy of the payment in a file for the rest of your life. They will simply sell the debt to another scum burger and the process will start all over again unless you have proof that the debt was settled in full and that you paid it.

I never respond or acknowledge these call. I don't even answer the phone, so how can they continue calling for months and years? Do you know who I would need to go through to get some of this off my credit file if possible? Thanks. Something is terribly wrong with our collection system. I still get a letter addressed to my father from an agency regarding an account that is probably 25 years old. My father has been dead for about 15 years.

pitsy088

You can contact the Federal Trade Commision, online phone#.  They give free advise on these kind of things.

Bobbbie63

let them know he has moved, provide them the new address, the grave yard.

8 years and counting

I have had a derogatory mark on my credit for 8 years. It has also just recently posted again and just 3 months ago in August when really it was in 2005.  What's can I do to make them remove this.  It's over 7 years. It was a relative that got an apartment in my name and then screwed me.  Now it's a huge red flag on my credit and I can't move forward.  There was never a judemnet just the collection.  Any advice here?  I fought it at first but finally gave up and have watched and waited to have it removed.  It's the difference between me having good and very good credit.  I'm a sitting duck at 698 and I can't even get a card with a high balance because of this.  Major bummer!

The best advice would as follow:

1. Go over the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act". Believe it or not you do have rights and recourse of action when those rights are violated.

2. Check with your state to see how long a collectors have on collecting on the debt. An Example: Texas give a Credit Card Company 4 years to go to court in attempt to collect on the amount owed. The countdown starts from the last activity you had on the card. After that if they do take you to court it will just get thrown out.

Understand this depends on the type of debt. Also, just so that I am not being missunderstood here. I am not advocating that a person not pay his/her debts. I am just providing the information that I have learn.