Question

jocain

Delinquent account caused by water company's clerical error now has late fee in collections.
Upon selling our house, I called the water company to notify them of the transfer of service and to stop service under our name as of a certain date. I also gave them our forwarding address just in case we had a remaining balance so that they could mail a final bill. Due to some clerical error (their words), the address was not changed and the final bill was sent to our old address. Months later, I received a notice via USPS forwarding mail that the account was delinquent. I had mailed out a check, which took 2 months to clear. I'm not sure if there was a mail delivery error or it was piled on somebody's desk. During the month in between, apparently the debt was sent to a collections agency. I have never been contacted by the collection agency, but from Credit Karma I know that there is a $25.00 collection on my credit report. I called the water company asking for them to rescind the collection. They had stated it was a clerical error and they show me calling to provide them with the service termination and address change, but the address was not updated. They also show me calling in to say I received the notice sent about the account going to collections via USPS forwarded mail and that I would mail a check ASAP.

I really just want this to go away because the fee shouldn't be there. I have always paid the account timely. I asked them to adjust the late fee, but the supervisor stated that they have to go by the date they received your payment and the account had already been turned over to collections before the payment was received. Therefore, the $25 cannot be adjusted off.

I haven't done anything about it for about 6 months because it was so small and I didn't know what to do. It seems whether I pay it, leave it or have it removed it's all the same impact to my credit. I just feel that the debt is not a real debt and should not be there at all. Any recommendations?

Sorry for the lengthy details. Thanks in advance!!

Don't pay it

Mail a "Validation letter" to the Credit Bureau.  This will reqire them to verify the account and that should trigger them remopving it completely. 

Google it for a template and more info if your not familiar with Validation letters.