Question

JavaManOne

Credit Co. Won't Accept Payment on Charge-Off
Here's one for the ages. My wife and I each had two separate secured cards from a company called Open Sky/Capital Bank. Both were charged off after I missed payments, they were redoing their website, I lost all information to take care of this (email account went South as well) so I blew it. I finally hunted down three addresses and sent a letter to each for account information explaining I wanted to pay off the debt but need the account numbers.

After a few months I received the information for mine only. After months of trying for my wife we received a letter saying "Due to the status of your account (charged-off), we are unable to accept payment. We are under no obligation to accept a payment even though we may continue to report the unpaid balance that we've charged off."

I also requested the account number but they only referred to the last four digits. The credit report shows all numbers except the last four. My thinking is to send the payment with a cover letter referring to the full account number and see if the cash the check. If they do I can at least have that shown as "paid" on the credit report. However, if they don't accept the payment do I have any recourse?

Any advise or constructive comment would be appreciated. Thank You.