Question

ozzysspecialmom

cosigner deceased
due to divorce, 10 years ago, a 'friend' co-signed for me to have Care Credit to be able to attend dental appointments. He was in an accident and never made a payment. This debt is only one year old. It's the only negative thing on my score. He is deceased now, and this debt is still on my score. Apparently his estate didn't cover all his bills, or it was written off. I get calls from this collection agency, but don't answer the phone. I don't know if it's best to inquire into this, let it ride 6 more years, or if his estate should have paid. I'm afraid if I ask about it, the 7 years will start all over. But if it's a write off, because he's deceased, as the co-signer, maybe I don't owe it at all

Sorry to hear about your friend.

A co-signer for a loan is someone who guarantees the loan will be paid if the borrower defaults on the loan.

You are the borrower,  you had the dental work,  so you are the one that needs to make the payments.

I heartily agree with icuhowie.  When your friend cosigned for the account, he was guaranteeing that you would be paying for the dental services or he would have to make the payments.  He was counting on you to make the payments, as was your responsibility in the beginning.  It was not his obligation to make the payments for you. So, begin paying your debts.