Collector called about debt from 3 years ago
Today I received a call from a debt collector stating that I owed money to an apartment complex I moved out of in 2010. My (now ex) husband and I had to break the lease to move for a job, and had set up a payment plan with them to pay off the extra rent, fee to break the lease, and to replace the carpets. Everything was paid, and we never heard from them again. After moving twice since then, and divorcing, I no longer have the paperwork regarding the lease and payment plan. I do have copies of checks sent to the apartment from that time period, and since my ex and I paid everything in halves I'm hoping his old bank will still give him statements so he will have proof as well. The apartment complex did not get in touch with us regarding any balance owed. Our phone numbers have been the same since we lived there, and the debt collector had the address of the apartments we moved to after breaking the lease. He said we would have received letters, but we did not. We both set up forwarding addresses after moving from the second apartment, and kept the same phone numbers.. still did not hear anything from the apartment.
The debt collector said he did not have any documents to go with it other than something stating we still owe money. The apartment complex stated they did not have documents either, but show that we have a balance.
Does this situation seem fishy? Could there have been a paperwork error somewhere? Only thing the apartment office told me was the property manager would call me on Wednesday, and that they didn't know why a debt collector was calling. Can they even attempt to collect something that is from Dec 2010? There is nothing on my credit report about it, and the debt collector said "it must have slipped through the cracks." Now that they somehow have their hands on an alleged balance, will it show on my credit report?