Question

SKnudsenJr

Collections that isn't mine, company closed, how do I dispute?
I'm cleaning up my credit report in anticipation of moving out and getting a new car, so I pulled my Trans Union report and found a collections account for medical lab work that isn't mine. I sent a dispute letter to the company directly, but I received it back mail return. I looked into the company and verified that the company has since closed, and when I call the lab company they have no record of any owed balance in my name. They did not place the debt on my report, the 3rd party collections agency did. Am I to understand that I can send a dispute letter to TU and the other 2 reporting agencies, if they placed it there as well, and it will be removed once they do not receive a response from the collections agency that is now closed? The lab company did not send me any documents to verify they have no record of my debt, do I need to request something from them or can I forward my mail-returned dispute letter with proof the company is closed to remove it? The BBB page for the collections company stated that they are in fact closed and that they did not transfer their open accounts back to the original creditors. Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to have letters sent to the credit bureau's within the next week to get the ball rolling.