Collections Help!
I was in a bus crash December 17ish, 2010. I was a freshman college student attending Oklahoma State University. I am originally from Dallas, Texas. The bus crash occured in Gunnison Colorado after driving 14 hours to reach Crested Butte. The driver misjudged a corner and hit a patch of ice forcing us over the rail and flipped over, stopping 50 feet down the slope thanks to a recently cut down tree. All 43 of us were taken to the hospital with various injuries ranging from bumps and bruises to a cracked skull.

Fast forward a month or so, I got a bill from the hospital. I had no way of paying 2700. I didn't have any money and didn't have a job as I was a full-time student taking 17 hours. We were expecting the insurance company to pay for the medical bills which did not end up happening due to the company closing it's doors. They tried to shut down their charter bus comapny in order to avoid paying for the medical bills. Mine was small to compared to most everyone else. My wife had a $30,000 bill resulting from a surgery to repair a lasceration. I was only 18 and had no idea what credit scores were and how it would affect me. We were advised to sue the bus company for our injuries. I knew a family friend who was an attorney. We used him to settle with the bus comapny for my expenses. The only problem is that in the time it took to finally get the settlement and the check from the company, it had gone to collections. I got my check and immediately paid off my debt. No one told me that it would hurt my score or even that I should find a way to pay it. I waited until everyone sued the company and I now find out I have a collection on my account. I got the collection while I was at college and it was sent to my parents house. I was never contacted or had any indication this had happened until I retured for christmas break and opened my mail my parents had kept for me. The account was open for 2 months and I paid it off January 2011. One year after the bus crash.

How can I get this issue resolved and taken off my account? I don't feel like it's fair given my situation to have a derogatory account listed. I never had a credit card and still don't. I have student loans and a car loan I took in order to improve my credit store. It doesn't matter if we make over 100k as 22 yr olds, I still have trouble getting a car loan and soon a mortgage rate that is reasonable.