Closed debt from 2010 still showing, when will it be removed? Should i PFD?
Hello all, i am working on building my credit with an end goal of being able to buy a home within a year or two. I am 34, been living with a friend for the last 6 years after my mother passed away in which she ruined my credit before i could do anything (she took out loans using my SS# when i was 10 and used my dad's name) so when she passed away i had no idea about the 6000 loan under my name. Luckily that is resolved now and is closed showing no missed payments, i disputed that a year or so ago and now i only have one negative think on my credit report...

Closed verizon account of $979. It was closed in Jan 2010, last reported Dec 01 2011. My question is what should i do about this. Is this most likely going to dissapear by january next year? I have gone from 500 credit score in may 2015 to 620 right now.

I think that after i disputed the 6000 loan and it is now showing that i have a 25 year credit history with no missed payments on that loan and i was able to go from only having a 300 CL card a month ago to being accepted for a 2000 CL quicksilver card. It was crazy, before i disputed this 6000 loan i couldn't even get a department store credit card.

Most Helpful Response

Well first congrats on getting your score up and your new card.  First I would check your states SOL and see if they can still sue you for it.  If they cant then yes I would try because now they have nothing to lose.  Even if they still can I would since you owe it anyways.  A paid debt is better then one that is not.  But score wise it will help if it's gone.

Thanks for the nice words and reply! I am very excited that i'm on the right track to fixing my credit.  I just pulled a transunion credit report, i haven't done this in a year or two.  It says this about the verizon account:

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 

I live in VA and i looked up SOL and i'm reading that it is 6 years but it seems a bit confusing... i don't know how this applies to me.  Do you think i have anything to worry about since it says it will be removed in 3 months time?