Can you give advise to clear a rental history debt bought by collection agency?
I am trying to clean up my credit and the first thing I need to do is pay off my rental history that was reported. The original company has since sold my debt to a collection agency as noted on my credit report. I am currently searching for a new place to live and obviously having trouble due to this derogatory remark on my credit from past rental history (just 1). My question is, do I contact the person who has currently bought this debt or do I contact the oringinal rental company? They have also increased the amount I owe, from $1500 to $1900. I know I need to pay it and am eager to take care of it, but do I willingly pay the inflated amount or try and negotiate it down to the original amount? I have also read that I should request a document up front before I agree to any payment terms that state my debt will be deleted from the credit bureau's after payment. Does that apply here as well? Deletion is far better than paid in full, correct? If they don't agree to the deletion option, will paid in full be a positive remark or is rental debt different from other debt like credit cards, loans, medical bills etc? Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Most Helpful Response

lots of questions

let see if i can answer most of this.  first, the original creditor sold your account, so they can not legally collect or deal with that account.  contactr the collection agency in writting,  Ask for a "pay per delete" and get an agreement in writting.  Try negotiating with them by phone, but tell them to send you the settlement offer in writting before sending any money. Offer 60% in a lump sum to pay off, ( they probably paid 40% for the account. so anything above that is profit for them)  in negotiating, never offer more money with out getting the pay per delete. They will try to hold out, but don't pay them unless they agree to delete, It doesn't cost them anything to do and you can tell them it's not worth paying them if they aren't going to delete.   The increase in the amount is probably interest and was added on by the C.A. in order to pad what they can charge you. .  Don't worry about that, Focus on the original amount and don't even mention it when speaking or writting to the C.A.   If they absolutely refuse to do the Pay per delete, It will be better to have the account paid off,