Can I apply for multiple credit cards at once?
Couple of questions relating to applying for two or more CCs in a short amount of time.

If I apply for a new credit card one day, either approved or not, and then I apply for a second card a few days later at a different lender, how much will my first application affect the second lender's decision to approve me or not. I understand that each application results in a hard inquiry on my credit, and that could ultimately affect the decision, but I'm wondering if the closeness of the previous application has any affect on its own.

If there is a chance I won't be approved for the second card because of how recent the first one was, can I be sneaky and apply for both at the same time? I know a lot of CC issuers will approve you instantly online. How soon will one see the other inquiry, or how soon does it get submitted to a place that the other issuer can see it? If I do get an instant approval for both, is there a chance that they will come across any new information about me and my credit history in the next couple of days, see that I have more inquiries, and reverse their initial decision?

In the long-term, will the nearness of the multiple inquiries, not just the fact that I have two of them, negatively affect my credit score? If so how long?

Before this gets brought up, I am responsible with my credit, and I am only looking to build my credit by increasing my total credit limit and my number of credit accounts.

Thank you.

sfitkin

Most Helpful Response

I apply for multiple cards at once. I mean within minutes of each other and usually get approved. I tend to take on two new cards at a time. The inqs will hurt your score initially, but after six months they have less of an impact. After a year they barely have an impact at all. I like to have the inqs hit on the same day so they can fall off on the same day. If you are approved online I doubt it will be reversed a few days later, but I can't say that for sure.

I would suggest applying for both cards at the same time. Some people actually use two browsers and apply for two cards by the same issuer at the same time and get a double approval. End up with two discover cards approved just seconds apart 

Response by
tralemo

Submit to the Community