Can anyone tell me if I disputed my credit history properly?
Equifax and TransUnion both correctly show three late payments in 2009 on one of my Capital One cards that is still open. I called Capital One today to request that the derogatory marks be removed. I called because I've since made no late payments with Capital One on that card and I have two other accounts with them that have always been in perfect standing. I'm asking this question here because I got the impression that the guy I spoke to didn't understand what I was trying to accomplish. The word 'dispute' gets thrown around and I'm not disputing the marks because they're accurate. But I let him call it that because if that's the technical term then so be it. He told me something about my payment history being updated every 21 days and that it happens automatically, and that he would submit some type of verification to the CRA indicating my perfect payment history but that that he could only see the past twelve months.

Could I have asked or said the wrong thing? I have to think that they get calls like this all the time so I'm confused that he wouldn't intrinsically understand what I was trying to do. And it wasn't just him. I spoke with two other reps, one of whom I spoke to about a second, older card from 2006 that was closed in 2009. They all seemed to say the same thing (that they are not the credit agency and the computer records automatically).

I would like (but do not expect and didn't demand) for them to request that the late payment information that the CRA's have on my record be removed because I'm such a valuable and loyal customer blah, blah, blah. All of their communication with me was so scripted that I don't know if what I'm asking for is even possible, much less if they will do it or not.

Thanks for any input.