Question

Jesstella

Best way to deal with collections?
Hi there,
I immigrated to America a few years ago and as such, started with no credit score. I got a secured card and have been diligently working my score up for a few months. So far it's at 653 :) so I was happy.

Then today I received a notice of collections for a whopping $32.50 for which I have no recollection, no first notice or any other information. I called the company and left a message to dispute it but I am not sure how to handle it.

From reading the message boards I have heard about deletions, how reporting varies from state to state (im in Hawaii) and perhaps not paying it is better. So far nothing has appeared on my report.

Any advice would be hugely welcome!
Thanks!