Question

JeepBuyer

45 years old, 3 month credit history, +700 scores on TU and Equifax, can I get approved for CC?
I bought a new Jeep 7 months ago via a cash secured loan because the financing option available to me was through Chrysler whereby I was expected to pay $2200 for the privilege to apply in which case I would be awarded a loan at an interest rate of 18.xx% IIRC. The last thing I want to do is start applying for credit cards and getting more Inquiries placed against my credit scores. Based on the below information is 3 months credit history (as reported by CK) enough to get approved or should I want until 2017 when I will have 6 months of credit history. The reason I had no credit history is I got into trouble a while ago, paid off my debts and begin paying cash for everything since my credit was so bad I would not qualify otherwise. I have finally turned it around and I want to keep improving but at the same token I don't want to hurt my credit trying to do too much too fast. I applied for a card CK said I had a Good chance of getting, got denied and it dinged my credit via the inquiry. Here are my stats:

TransUn Equifax
Scores 708 703
CC Util 1% 1%
PayHist 100% 100%
DerMks 0 1
AgCH 3 mo 3 mo
# acct 2 2
Inq 4 9

I should have said I applied for a credit card that Credit Karma said I had a Good chance of being accepted when my scores were a little over 600 this was a few months ago, I got denied and received the credit inquiries which lowered my credit scores and was a bit depressing.  I feel like at 700+ I should be in a better position but wasn't sure how important LENGTH of credit history mattered.  My cash secured loan for my Jeep was for $46,000.  Also I am down to $23k remaining on that loan, should I just pay it off fast and get another bump on my credit or should I take my time paying it off (maybe another year) so as to have an open account.

Lastly what are some good cash back reward cards I should have a good shot at getting accepted by?

fleuriste

Hop over to the MyFico forums.  They have good advice as to what cards to apply for when you are building your credit.  You might start with a secured card and move up from there.  You might not be quite ready for rewards cards, but the people there will know more than I do on that.