This offer is no longer available on our site: U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card
- Hassle-free bonus cash back rewards
- Generous introductory APR offers
- Multiple ways to redeem points
- No annual fee
- Earning caps on bonus categories
- Low sign-up bonus
- Foreign transaction fee
5 things you should know about the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
The Citi Custom Cash℠ Card offers simplicity of use with a 5% earnings potential that’s typically reserved for rotating bonus cards.
If you’re considering this card, here are five things you should know.
1. 5% cash back on autopilot
With the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card, you don’t have to worry about tracking bonus categories or stopping at specific stores to earn ThankYou® Points.
Instead, you’ll earn 5% cash back on whichever eligible spending category was your highest during your monthly billing period — on up to the first $500 spent. Eligible 5% bonus categories include restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, drugstores, home improvement stores, select travel and transit, gyms and entertainment. You’ll earn unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases, as well as on purchases in your bonus category after you’ve hit the spending cap.
2. Introductory APR and welcome bonus offers
You’ll receive an intro 0% APR on purchases for the first 15 months from account opening, and on balance transfers for 15 months from the date of your first balance transfer. That could come in handy if you’re looking to finance a large, one-time purchase in addition to earning ongoing cash back.
To qualify for the intro rate, balance transfers must be completed within four months of account opening. And you’ll have to pay a balance transfer fee of 5% (minimum $5).
After the introductory period, the variable APR for both purchases and balance transfers rises to a variable 18.24% - 28.24%.
New cardholders may also qualify for a $200 cash back sign-up bonus after spending at least $1,500 on purchases within the first 6 months with the card.
3. Flexible redemption options
There are multiple ways you can redeem the ThankYou Points you earn with Citi Custom Cash℠ Card, including for gift cards, travel or shopping with points at retailers like Amazon.com. You can also redeem your points for cash through direct deposit, check or a statement credit. There are no minimum redemptions when you choose cash redemption through direct deposit or statement credit.
4. No annual fee
Like some other cash back cards, Citi Custom Cash℠ Card doesn’t charge an annual fee. But there’s a 3% foreign transaction fee. So if you do a lot of traveling abroad, you may want to look for a different rewards card.
5. No unlimited bonus categories
A couple of other cash back cards offer unlimited cash back categories on top of rotating quarterly bonus categories, but you won’t find that with the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card.
Instead, every purchase outside of your single bonus category each billing cycle earns just 1%. This means that your maximum cash back at the bonus rate will be capped at $25 per month and $75 per quarter.
Other card details to know
The Citi Custom Cash℠ Card doesn’t come with extra perks, but here are a couple of other things worth noting.
- Citi Entertainment — As a cardholder, you’ll get special access (including pre-sale tickets) for live concerts, sporting events, culinary experiences, and more.
- Contactless payments — The card is contactless-chip enabled, which means that cardholders can make safe and secure in-person purchases without having to touch a payment terminal.
- Free FICO® score — Getting monthly access to your FICO score is nice. But it probably shouldn’t be one of your top reasons for picking a credit card as there are several other ways to check your credit scores and reports for free.
Who this card is good for
The Citi Custom Cash℠ Card could be a solid option if you don’t want to spend time tracking bonus categories and are looking for a straightforward way to earn up to $300 in bonus cash per year. But if you’re looking to maximize the amount of cash you can earn through unlimited bonus categories, other cards may have the potential to be more valuable.
Not sure this is the card for you? Consider these alternatives.
Here’s a couple of other cards to consider if the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card won’t work for your needs.
- Discover it® Cash Back: If you’re looking for a generous welcome bonus offer, this card is worth checking out.
- U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card: This card could be a great fit if you’re looking for a way to earn cash back on a hefty cell phone bill.