We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Editors’ take: Travelers auto insurance is worth a look if you drive a newer-model car or if you’re a careful driver and want to take advantage of its decreasing deductible. But its complaints record presents a mixed picture of customer satisfaction.
Travelers auto insurance at a glance
|Availability||Available in most states and Washington, D.C.|
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings||Lower than industry average|
|Number of complaints in 2019||Lower than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market|
|How to get an insurance quote||Online, over the phone or through an agent|
|How to submit a claim||Online or via a 24-hour hotline|
- Range of available discounts
- IntelliDrive program provides rate discounts based on your driving
- Claims can be made online or over the phone
- Ride-sharing coverage in some states
- Mixed picture for customer satisfaction
- Not available in all states
What you need to know about Travelers auto insurance
Travelers has been in business for more than 165 years and claims a number of insurance industry “firsts,” including issuing the first accident insurance and auto insurance policies. Travelers has about 13,500 independent agents and brokers who serve customers in the United States, Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Travelers offers various types of auto insurance coverage, including comprehensive coverage, collision coverage, uninsured motorist coverage and personal injury protection. And it gives drivers lots of ways to save on their policies.
Generous decreasing deductible
Some Travelers auto insurance policies include a decreasing deductible, which means drivers earn a credit toward their deductible when they stay accident- and violation-free. Travelers’ decreasing deductible credit is applied every six months. That’s more frequent than some other insurers’ programs, which usually decrease the deductible every year.
In some states, you can also save money by enrolling in Travelers’ IntelliDrive program, where you monitor your driving in a smartphone app for 90 days. The program logs data about your speed, braking, time of day and phone use while driving. Enrolling could save you money on your first policy term, and your safe driving habits could lead to savings of up to 30%, according to Travelers.
If you total your new vehicle in the first five years, the company’s new-car replacement coverage pays to replace it with a new car of the same make and model. Some insurers offer this coverage only for the first two or three years.
Mixed picture of customer complaints
In 2019, Travelers’ number of complaints was lower than average for insurance companies of its size in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Travelers also provides homeowners and business insurance, but a majority of the complaints in 2019 were related to Travelers’ auto insurance.
But Travelers had a lower-than-average customer claims satisfaction rating in 2020, based on a J.D. Power study, contributing to a mixed picture for customer satisfaction.
Auto coverage offered by Travelers
- Common coverage — Liability, comprehensive coverage, collision coverage, personal injury protection and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Ride-sharing coverage — In Colorado and Illinois, Travelers may cover drivers who use their cars for ride-hailing companies.
- Accident forgiveness — Some Travelers plans offer accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness. Accident forgiveness coverage will forgive one accident every 36 months, which can help keep your premium low. Minor violation forgiveness coverage will forgive one minor traffic violation every 36 months.
Auto insurance discounts offered by Travelers
- Early quote discount — New customers who get an auto quote with Travelers before their current policy expires may be eligible for a discount.
- Hybrid/electric vehicle discount — Travelers offers a discount for eligible customers who own or lease a hybrid car.
- Student away at school discount — Travelers offers this discount to policyholders whose dependents go to school at least 100 miles away and won’t be driving their car.
- Driver training discount — Drivers who have completed an approved driver education course may qualify for a policy discount.
- Other discounts — Travelers provides other common auto insurance discounts, including multi-policy and multi-car discounts, a safe-driver discount and a good student discount. (Note that some of these discounts aren’t available in California.)
Common question: Does Travelers auto insurance have accident forgiveness?
People with good driving records may qualify for a Travelers auto insurance policy that includes accident forgiveness. If you choose to purchase one of the company’s Responsible Driver Plans, the accident forgiveness feature will forgive one accident every 36 months, which can help keep your premium low.
Common question: Is Travelers a good car insurance company?
Travelers auto insurance earned a lower-than-average customer satisfaction rating in a 2020 J.D. Power study. But it earned a better-than-average rating for complaints, according to 2019 data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, contributing to a decidedly mixed picture.
Not sure if Travelers auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Geico auto insurance: This large insurance company is worth a look since it also provides a wide range of discounts.
- The General auto insurance: This insurance company may be a good option if you have a less-than-perfect driving record.