We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Editors’ take: MetLife has fewer than the average number of consumer complaints for an insurance company of its size — but it scores below average for customer satisfaction in the regions it serves. Still, options for customizing policies, discounts for multiple policies and safer driving, and wide availability may make MetLife an appealing choice for some drivers.
MetLife auto insurance at a glance
|Availability||Available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.|
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings||Ranked below average or well below average for overall satisfaction, but well above for claims satisfaction in 2020 surveys|
|Number of complaints in 2020||Significantly fewer than usual for insurance companies of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners|
|How to get an insurance quote||Online or by phone|
|How to submit a claim||Online, via the mobile app or 24-hour hotline|
- Fewer than average number of complaints
- Ability to save based on how you drive
- Numerous coverage options
- Standout features include new-car replacement and major parts replacement
- Accessible claims process
- Below average overall customer satisfaction ranking
- Limited information on website
- Limited discounts
What you need to know about MetLife auto insurance
MetLife is a global insurance company with more than 150 years in the business and offers life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, home insurance and retirement products around the world.
Average or below average overall customer satisfaction ranking
MetLife car insurance consistently scored in the middle of the pack or toward the bottom in 2020 J.D. Power surveys of overall auto insurance customer satisfaction, depending on the region. In fact, in every region, MetLife scored below the region’s average, and had the worst rating in the Southeast region.
Savings for good driving habits
MetLife’s My Journey program rewards motorists for good driving habits, and for changing unsafe behaviors. When you enroll, you’ll get an initial discount of up to 25%. Then, you download an app that tracks your driving over the next six months. Good driving habits could score you an additional discount of up to 30% upon renewal.
Auto coverage offered by MetLife
MetLife car insurance provides most of the standard coverage options, including …
- Liability protection
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Rental car coverage
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage
Additionally, MetLife offers some less-standard policy options, including …
- New-car replacement: If your new car is totaled, MetLife will pay to repair or replace it within one year of purchase or the first 15,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Major parts replacement: If you’re in an accident, MetLife will pay to replace certain major parts, which may include your tires, brakes and batteries, regardless of their wear and tear.
- No-deductible glass repairs: This insurance company will repair chips or cracks in your windshield and waive your deductible.
- Legal defense costs: MetLife car insurance will cover your legal fees if you’re sued, and may provide some reimbursement if you’re asked to appear in court.
- Lease or loan gap coverage: If your car is totaled in an accident, MetLife will pay off your lease or loan amount, even if it’s more than the value of the car.
Auto insurance discounts offered by MetLife
MetLife auto insurance discounts vary by state, and many of them are relatively standard. Customers can receive discounts for bundling their home and auto policies, setting up automatic payments and maintaining a safe driving record.
- Bundle your auto insurance and home insurance policies: MetLife claims customers save an average of $906 by bundling their insurance policies.
- Good-driver rewards
- Discounts for automated payments
- Special discounts based on your work or affiliations
- MetLife’s My Journey program offers discounts for monitoring your driving habits: Customers receive a one-time enrollment discount, plus an adjusted discount based on their safe driving score. Note that this program isn’t available in all states.
Common question: Is MetLife auto insurance cheap?
It could be difficult to know if MetLife auto insurance is going to be cheap for you. While you can start your quote online, you may need to speak with a representative to complete the process.
Your auto insurance rate will vary based on where you live, your driving record and the coverage you choose. MetLife customers who bundle multiple policies, like home and auto insurance, could save big. But it’s important to shop around and compare auto insurance quotes to find the policy and price that works best for you.
Common question: Is MetLife good for auto insurance?
MetLife has been around a long time and has relatively few customer complaints. It scores well for claims satisfaction but consistently low for overall customer satisfaction. While discounts are somewhat ordinary, anyone willing to pay for extra coverages could find plenty of options to choose from with MetLife. Still, you may be able to find a range of discounts and possibly a greater customer experience elsewhere.
Not sure if MetLife auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Geico: Auto insurance from this company could be good for someone who is looking for a wide range of auto insurance discounts.
- Nationwide: Nationwide boasts fewer customer complaints than average and a high Better Business Bureau rating, making it another option for customers looking for a high degree of service.