We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Option to lower your deductible over time||Discounts vary and may not be available at all, depending on the state you live in|
|Ability to get a newer car if yours is totaled||Customer satisfaction is average when it comes to shopping and claims process|
|Accident forgiveness available to those who qualify|
What you need to know about Liberty Mutual auto insurance
Headquartered in Boston and founded in 1912, Liberty Mutual Insurance is the fifth-largest global property and casualty insurer. The company offers a range of insurance products, including home, auto, renters and property-casualty insurance as well as commercial and specialty insurance.
Average customer satisfaction
Liberty Mutual scored about average in the J.D. Power 2019 Insurance Shopping Study and U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. But the insurer also had fewer customer complaints than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market in 2019, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Ability to lower your deductible over time
Liberty Mutual helps members save in the event of an unexpected accident with its Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund. In certain states, for $30 per year, you can lower your deductible by $100 each year.
Some other insurance companies, such as Nationwide and Allstate, offer the ability to reduce your deductible, but you need to maintain a safe driving record.
Better car replacement
Liberty Mutual offers optional Better Car Replacement coverage. If your car is declared a total loss, Liberty Mutual will not only replace it, but also give you the money for a vehicle that’s one model year newer and has 15,000 fewer miles than your current car. For example, if you total a 2016 model with 55,000 miles on it, you’ll be reimbursed for a replacement 2017 model with just 40,000. But, again, keep in mind the availability of this program varies by state.
In some states, Liberty Mutual also offers optional new-car replacement, which will reimburse you for a new car if yours is totaled.
Liberty Mutual’s Accident Forgiveness protects your rate from going up after your first accident. In order to qualify, you need to be accident-free for five years and have no moving violations. And if you’re under 25, you need to have five consecutive years with no accidents or violations before Liberty Mutual will forgive your first accident. Keep in mind that this optional coverage isn’t available to California residents.
A closer look at Liberty Mutual auto insurance
If you’re trying to decide if Liberty Mutual auto insurance is right for you, here are a few more things to consider.
- Special car insurance coverage for teachers. In some states, teachers can get free add-on coverage that provides protection if their vehicle is vandalized on school property or damaged while being driven on school business along with coverage for stolen teaching materials or school-owned property.
- Coverage options. Beyond special car insurance for teachers, Liberty Mutual offers typical auto insurance coverage options, such as liability, collision, comprehensive, roadside assistance, uninsured motorist, medical payments, personal injury protection, rental car reimbursement and towing and labor coverage. Liberty Mutual also offers lifetime repair guarantee and original parts replacement coverage.
- Save with safe driving. In states where this program is available, safe drivers can save up to 30% off their premium with Liberty Mutual’s RightTrack® program. Along with your smartphone, Liberty Mutual will use a device to track your driving habits, rewarding safe drivers in this usage-based insurance program.
- Range of discounts. Liberty Mutual offers a bunch of possible discounts that vary in availability by state, including discounts for having advanced safety features and anti-theft devices, driving hybrid or electric cars, remaining accident- or violation-free, policy bundling, being a good student and even buying your policy online.
- Claims. You can file a claim and manage it online. If your car is drivable, you can use the Liberty Mutual mobile app to send photos of the damage and get a quick estimate.
Is a Liberty Mutual auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
With Accident Forgiveness, safe-driving discounts and the RightTrack program, Liberty Mutual might be a good option for safe drivers who are looking for ways to save money on their car insurance premium.
It could also be a good option for teachers looking for extra protection when on school grounds or driving for school-related business.
How to get an auto insurance quote from Liberty Mutual
To get a quote from Liberty Mutual, you can go online, call or visit a local agent — though applying through libertymutual.com can help you save 12% or more if you’re in a state where that program applies.
But before you take that step, it’s a good idea to gather and compare car insurance quotes from other insurers. Shopping around can help you find the best policy for your needs and budget. Read our article on how to compare car insurance rates to learn more about the process.
Not sure if an auto insurance policy from Liberty Mutual is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
Here are some other lenders to think about if you aren’t sure about Liberty Mutual.
- The General: This insurance company may work if you have a history of driving violations or accidents or lapsed insurance coverage.
- USAA: USAA could be good for someone who’s currently serving in the military or a veteran.