We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Editors’ take: Car insurance from The Hartford is worth considering if you’re an AARP member since you can qualify for extra discounts. Its RecoverCare program, which can offset costs for help needed after an accident, may be especially appealing for seniors. The company has higher-than-average customer satisfaction ratings — but it also has a high number of complaints, and it isn’t available in every state.
The Hartford auto insurance at a glance
|Availability||Available in most U.S. states and Washington, D.C.|
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings||Higher than average|
|Number of complaints in 2019||Higher than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market|
|How to get an insurance quote||Online, over the phone or via a local agent|
|How to submit a claim||Online, on the app or via the 24-hour hotline|
- Plans and discounts for AARP members
- High auto claims customer satisfaction
- Simple claims process
- Discounts may be more limited for customers under 50
- Coverage not available in all states
What you need to know about The Hartford auto insurance
Headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut, The Hartford Group offers home, auto and business insurance in most U.S. states and Washington, D.C. The company offers exclusive discounts for AARP members, and it offers a range of auto insurance benefits for AARP members and non-members alike.
Some of the company’s standout features, like its RecoverCare assistance program, may especially benefit drivers over the age of 50. Hartford auto insurance also offers first accident forgiveness, 12-month auto insurance rate protection, and a “one deductible” feature, which means if something happens to two of your vehicles at the same time you only pay the higher deductible.
Protection beyond your car
Your auto insurance policy can protect your finances from some of the costs of repairing or replacing your car if you get in an accident. But the Hartford’s RecoverCare assistance program goes beyond those basic protections. With this program, The Hartford reimburses you for extra costs you may incur if you’re hurt in an accident and need help with things like house cleaning, lawn maintenance and snow removal, transportation services, food preparation or dog walking. The availability of this benefit and the benefit levels vary by state.
High auto claims customer satisfaction — but high complaints
The Hartford auto insurance had a higher-than-average auto claims customer satisfaction score, according to a 2020 J.D. Power study. In fact, it ranked among the top four insurance companies in terms of customer satisfaction. But it also had a higher-than-average number of customer complaints in 2020 for insurance companies of its size in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which paints a mixed picture.
Not an AARP member? Your discounts may be limited.
You must be 50 years or older and a member of AARP to qualify for the Hartford’s AARP Auto Insurance Program. You can still get auto insurance from the Hartford if you don’t meet these qualifications, but you won’t be able to claim all of the discount options available to AARP members.
Auto coverage offered by The Hartford
The Hartford offers mostly standard auto coverage options. It also covers commercial cars, RVs and classic cars through its Nutmeg Insurance Agency.
- No-deductible windshield repair service — The Hartford won’t charge you a deductible when you repair your windshield rather than replace it.
- New-car replacement coverage — If you total your new car within the first 15,000 miles or 15 months, The Hartford will replace it with a new one.
- Accident forgiveness — If all the drivers on your car insurance policy have a clean driving record for five years, you’ll qualify for first accident forgiveness, which means your premium won’t go up if you get in an accident.
- Disappearing deductible benefit — For every year without an accident, your collision deductible will go down — all the way to $0, as long as your driving record stays clean.
- Other standard coverage options — The Hartford also offers standard coverage options that include liability, medical payments, collision and comprehensive.
Auto insurance discounts offered by The Hartford
The auto insurance discount options at The Hartford are also mostly standard, but AARP members receive additional discounts.
- Discounts for having more than one airbag or driving a hybrid or electric vehicle
- Discounts for younger drivers who finish an approved driver training course, or who qualify for a good student discount
- Discounts for bundling home, condo or renters insurance and car insurance coverage or for paying your bill in full
- Discount for having anti-theft devices on your car
- Discount for completing an approved defensive driver course
Common question: Is Hartford insurance only for AARP?
You can get auto insurance through The Hartford even if you aren’t an AARP member, but your available discounts may be more limited.
Be sure to shop around to compare auto insurance quotes and available benefits before you make your decision.
Not sure if The Hartford auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Farmers Insurance: If you’re looking for a wider range of auto insurance coverage options, you may want to consider this insurance company.
- USAA auto insurance: Customers looking for insurance based on their affiliation may also consider this insurance company, which offers a range of coverage options and discounts for military members and their families.