Editors’ take: American Family auto insurance could be a good option for people who are looking for a wide range of coverage policy options and discounts. American Family has a below-average number of complaints and higher-than-average customer satisfaction — but it’s available in just 19 states.
American Family auto insurance at a glance
|Availability||Available in 19 states|
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings||Higher than average|
|Number of complaints in 2022||Fewer than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market|
|How to get an insurance quote||Online, over the phone or via an agent|
|How to submit a claim||Online, via the mobile app or 24-hour hotline, or via through an agent|
- Low rate of complaints and high customer satisfaction
- Opportunity for rate discounts based on your driving and other activities
- Easy online claims process
- Not available in every state
What you need to know about American Family auto insurance
Founded in 1927 and headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, American Family — sometimes called AmFam — offers vehicle, property, personal, commercial and farm insurance for customers in 19 states.
Low number of complaints and high customer satisfaction
American Family ranked higher than the industry average in J.D. Power’s 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, beating out some other major insurers.
And according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, American Family auto insurance had a low rate of customer complaints in 2022 compared to the industry average.
Wide range of discount opportunities
American Family offers several opportunities to save money on your insurance policy. Many of the discounts it offers are relatively standard, such as discounts for insuring several vehicles, bundling multiple products, having specific safety features installed in your car and switching from another insurer.
It also offers some unique savings options for policyholders with younger drivers, including its TeenSafeDriver discount, which is free to customers with a teenage driver, and its Young Volunteer discount, which rewards drivers under 25 who complete 40 hours of volunteer work in a year.
Not available in all 50 states
Auto insurance from American Family isn’t available everywhere. The insurance company currently services customers in 19 states: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.
Auto coverage offered by American Family
American Family provides relatively standard car insurance options and some unique add-on protections like emergency road service coverage and rideshare insurance for drivers who work for rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft. Coverage options may vary by location, so it’s best to check online or speak with an agent to find out what’s available for your area.
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Medical expense coverage
- Personal injury protection
- Gap coverage
- Underinsured motorist coverage
- Uninsured motorist protection
- Rental car reimbursement coverage
- Emergency road service coverage
- Accidental death and dismemberment coverage
- Rideshare insurance — This optional add-on coverage, which is available only in certain states, covers your car while your rideshare app is on.
Auto insurance discounts offered by American Family
American Family auto insurance customers may be eligible for a variety of car insurance discounts. Many of them, such as bundling, are relatively standard. These discounts vary by location and may not be available in all states.
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Loyalty discount
- Early bird discount
- Multi-product discount
- Switching discount
- Auto safety equipment discount
- Defensive driver course discount
- Good driving discount
- Low mileage discount
- KnowYourDrive discount (Enroll in American Family’s safe driving program for a premium discount of up to 20%.)
- Good student discount
- TeenSafeDriver discount
- Young Volunteer discount
- Autopay discount
- Pay in full discount
- Paperless discount
Common question: How do I get a quote for American Family auto insurance?
There are a few different ways to get an auto insurance quote from American Family. You can get a quote on the website, over the phone or by speaking directly with an agent. Remember, American Family isn’t available in all states, and its coverage and discount options may vary by location.
How do I add a car to my American Family Insurance plan?
To add a new car to an existing American Family insurance policy, call your AmFam insurance agent.
Not sure if American Family auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives
- Progressive: Auto insurance from this company is available in all 50 states, but some types of coverage may not be available where you live.
- The General: This insurance company may be ideal if your driving history isn’t perfect.