Editors’ take: AAA auto insurance could be a good option for people looking for membership auto insurance discounts. AAA offers an array of insurance options in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico. Coverage options, total complaints and average customer satisfaction vary by region, so researching your local AAA insurance group is key to deciding if this insurer is right for you.
AAA auto insurance at a glance
Available in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico
J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings
Varies by region
Rate of complaints in 2020
Higher than industry average
How to get an insurance quote
Online, over the phone or via an agent
How to submit a claim
Online or over the phone
- Discounts for members
- Opportunity for rate discounts based on your driving
- Available nationwide through regional clubs
- Each regional club has its own policy offerings
What you need to know about AAA auto insurance
AAA was founded in 1902 as the American Automobile Association and has advocated for motorists for more than 100 years. You may know AAA for its roadside assistance service, which offers fuel delivery, towing, flat tire replacement and battery services — but AAA also offers auto insurance across the U.S. via several regional associations. Its regional clubs offer many standard coverage options, including gap coverage, rental car coverage and total loss replacement.
AAA members can receive discounts and travel rewards on everything from fuel and rental cars to dining, shopping and entertainment.
Since AAA auto insurance is offered through various regional clubs, it’s essential to check with your local club to find out what coverage options, discounts and extra perks may be available to you.
Discounts for members
AAA members receive several discounts — including auto insurance discounts — just for being a member. You may need to be a AAA member to get AAA auto insurance, so be sure to check with your local branch for specifics.
AAA members may also be eligible for discounts on several car- and travel-related purchases, including a Shell fuel rewards program, access to the AAA preferred hotel network and car rentals through Hertz, Thrifty and Dollar. Members are also eligible for dining, entertainment and shopping discounts at various retailers.
Opportunity for rate discounts based on your driving
Customers who enroll in the AAADrive Insurance Discount Program can save up to 25% on their premium based on their safe driving score. To enroll, download the AAA Mobile app and register for the program. You’ll get feedback on your driving for every trip you log.
The app monitors factors like mobile phone distraction, smooth driving, speed, time of day and how long you drive without taking a break. This program is only available in select markets, so be sure to check with your regional AAA insurer about availability in your area.
Mixed claims satisfaction scores
AAA auto insurance is underwritten by several insurance groups, including the Auto Club of Southern California Insurance Group, CSAA Insurance Group and Automobile Club Group.
According to a 2021 JD Power auto claims satisfaction survey, the Auto Club of Southern California Insurance Group had higher-than-average claims satisfaction. But the CSAA Insurance Group and Automobile Club Group had lower-than-average claims satisfaction. Claims satisfaction may vary depending on where you live.
Auto coverage offered by AAA
AAA’s coverage options vary by plan and may not be available in all areas. Check with your regional branch to see what coverage may be available to you.
Types of coverage offered by AAA include …
- Collision coverage
- Car rental coverage — If you must rent a car because of an accident, AAA may reimburse you for those expenses.
- Enhanced total loss replacement — With this coverage option available for an additional cost, AAA may pay to replace your vehicle with a model that’s one to two years newer if your car is deemed a total loss after a car accident.
- Transportation network company — This option may provide additional coverage for your vehicle if you drive for a rideshare company.
- Extended exterior repair option coverage — With this option, you can get original exterior parts from the original equipment manufacturer, rather than aftermarket parts.
Auto insurance discounts offered by AAA
AAA offers several discounts that are also available at other auto insurance companies, like a good student discount and discounts for bundling multiple AAA products, insuring multiple cars, going paperless and meeting various safety standards. Here’s a closer look at some of AAA’s potential insurance discounts.
- AAA membership discount — You can receive a loyalty discount based on the number of years you’ve been a AAA member.
- Paperless discount
- Disappearing deductible — This discount reduces your deductible based on the number of terms you’ve gone without a claim.
- Multiple car discount
- AAADrive insurance discount
- Multiple-product discount — You can get a discount for bundling other insurance offerings like life insurance and home insurance.
Remember, these discounts may not be available in all areas, so check with your local auto club group for more information.
Common question: Is AAA auto insurance expensive?
The cost of your insurance premium depends on several factors, including your location, age, driving record, claims history and the coverages and deductibles you select. Make sure to check with your local AAA club for the best information. You may also be required to have a AAA membership to get AAA auto insurance, so remember to add the cost of that membership to your estimate.
Not sure if AAA auto insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Travelers: Auto insurance from this company could be good for someone looking for a wide range of coverage options.
- Auto-Owners: This insurance company has high customer satisfaction rates.