Min. deposit

$0

3.4

Apr 27 2020
Good Card

I applied for the Citi Secured card in June of 2019.. I only put a $200 deposit up since I also applied for the Discover It Secured card as well as the Capital One Secured card. I always kept a low balance on my Citi card, making purchases oh no more then $20 a month. Always paying it off in full before my statement closing date. When paying my bill, I paid it before 1pm using my checking account. My current balance always updated to $0 within an hour after I paid. By 10am the next day, my available credit reflected my previous days payment. I have had no issues since I've had the card. On March 27th I received a letter stating that my credit card account no longer required a security deposit, and I would be receiving my security deposit back,, and would be sent a Citi Diamond Preferred MasterCard. I have read a lot of negative reviews about this card, but I have I had no issues so far. So, as stated in a lot of posts about getting graduated in no less than 18 mouths is not correct. All I can recommend what is that you make sure make payments on time and keep your balance low.

Jan 14 2021
Not worth it

Paid my balance in full every month for 1 year and it remained a secured card. When I called, they said it will be reviewed after 18 months. There a lot of other options for secured cards that will be more beneficial. The points to get your credit established and setback on track. This card is a waste of time.

All reviews

Apr 16 2021
Improved my credit.

I applied in 2019 and put $500. I had zero credit. Uses this card daily for everything and always paid in full. My credit is now fluctuate between 709-702. I read the other card owner got his/her deposit back. I did not know of this and I haven’t received any letter. But I don’t have any complains with this card.

Apr 16 2021
Beyond Frustrated - Worst Customer Service

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE: I opened this card and 2 other secured cards with other banks 3 years ago as a way to rebuild my credit (had 580 or so credit score at the time) To date I have a 740 credit score. I kept balances low and never had a late payment on all cards. About 18 months in, the other 2 banks I had secured cards with automatically converted them to unsecured accounts and increased the credit limits to $4000 and $9200 respectively. Citi Bank did not do this and said I would need to wait until my maturity date (which was 6 months later.) So I waited, while keeping the balance low and making payments on time. Maturity date came and they REFUSED to convert this to an unsecured account. When I asked why they said, "You haven't spent enough" when I asked "Well how much do I need to spend?" I was told "There is no set amount" WHAT?!?! I then asked them to run my credit as it had drastically increased and then REFUSED. They simply told me there was nothing I could do but to spend more money on the card and wait another year. BEYOND FRUSTRATED. The most frustrating part is my credit scores are now high enough where I know if I was to apply for a brand new credit card with them I would get approved, yet they REFUSE to convert my existing account. Makes no sense and the countless times I've called no one there is willing to help.

Apr 10 2021
don’t waste your time

couldn’t get to a live person when i had issues with my car for atleast an hour. they did not tell me when they would pull the $200 and then charged a $25 fee to my account. when i got my card in the mail it was closed and there was no person to contact and they would keep transferring me to different departments because they didn’t know what to do. i do not recommend.

Apr 10 2021
Been nothing but good to me.

Since I got this card a little over a year ago it has done what it said it was going to do. The few times I’ve called customer service they were on point. I did have one issue but they corrected it right away with a missed payment that was not my fault because I’m on auto pay. They didn’t debit me one month but I got that fixed quick. My credit didn’t move on it until just recently. It went up only 12 points not complaining. I only did $200 on it and to get a credit increase I have to get a new card with more secured deposit. I’ll wait the 18 months to see if they refund my $200 and give me an actual credit card no deposit. I’ll come back in leave a review once that is complete.

Apr 08 2021
Great Card

I’m not sure why the card has so many negative reviews but I definitely recommend getting this card. All you have to do is make your payments on time and you will see your credit start to improve. It’s just like any other credit card.

Apr 04 2021
Horrible

Please do not get this card it is nothing but a headache. Nor does it boost your score

Apr 03 2021
Brought my score down

I applied for a $300 secured card which they denied and it negatively impacted my credit score.

Mar 30 2021
Worst costomer service ever

Got the card, after putting 1000 on it ya know secured cared and all. Went to register, it activated the card but wouldn't give me online access. Then tried to say there was fraud. And there was nothing any of the 4 people I talked to could do apparently other than tell me they were going to mail me something, and then get dead silent till i went to give my address and then they would cut me off and not take the address till I yelled.

Mar 30 2021
This card is the pits!!

I have had this card since 2018, I only put a deposit of $200.00 so my balance was never horrible. I always paid it on time, but I never got a credit line increase. Actually it didn’t help my credit at all! They always say 18 months the account will be reviewed, but it never happens. If your looking for a secured card, don’t choose this one!

Mar 27 2021
Not Worth It

I’ve had this card for almost 4 years. Never late, never over limit, actually have a zero balance. No credit limit increase ever and they don’t return your deposit. I would rate Citi Bank Zero if I could.

Min. deposit