Min. deposit

2.6
from Credit Karma members in the last year

Mar 06 2017
My step-by-step process.

As 2017 started, my credit score was 490. I know...it's a disaster! I ruined my credit at age 18-20. Now I am 25 and I decide to rebuild my credit back up and fix this mess. I currently have about 3 open collections and 7 hard inquiries. I'll work on removing them eventually.?In the mean time, I checked the approval odds of Citi Secured MasterCard and CK deemed it "FAIR". I took a chance. On Jan. 17, I applied online through their website. I set up a $200 deposit from my Wells Fargo checking account for them to withdraw. At the end the system stated that my application needed further review. They'll let me know the result within 1 week. I'm already thinking to myself...ahh that probably means I didn't get approved.? On Jan. 19, Citi withdrew $200 from my Wells Fargo checking account and the status of my application was still pending. I'm getting anxious. On Jan. 24, I received a surprising email stating that I've been approved and my credit limit is $200! YES, they gave me a chance! But my credit score dropped to 459. I think that's how the system calculates the score when you open a new line of credit. On Feb. 3, I received my new Citi Secured Mastercard! It took about 8 business days for me to receive it here in California. I activated it right away and stuffed it in my wallet.? Now from experience, I've learned to control my spending and limit myself from utilizing too much credit from this card. I read on CK forums to keep your utilization below 30%. Which means I must not spend over $60 out of my $200 credit limit. So all I did was I allow Apple Music ($14.99/month) to automatically charge my Citi card every month.? Feb. 6, Apple deducted $14.99 from my card. In the next few days a balance of $14.99 appeared on my online account. I paid it off immediately using my checking account. Feb. 13, my score shot up to 518. Nothing massive, but it was a huge step into building up my credit again. I repeated the same step this month for March. March 6, My credit score shot up to a whopping 563. My credit utilization is 9% and my payments are 100% on time. 2 of my 7 inquiries dropped this month as well.? SO FAR SO GOOD. I am very satisfied with this card. I will come back within 6-12 months and give it a second review to see how my progress is! Thank you Citi for taking a chance on a peasant like me. LOL!?

May 08 2019
Avoid this card unless you're desperate.

If you want an awesome secured cc, then go with Discover. I opened the Citi card in the summer of 2017 with a $600 deposit. I've never missed a payment, use this card frequently, many times I'd pay the balance in full with $500 payments, and 18 months later I got a letter from Citi saying they need to hold my security deposit for another year. On the other hand, I opened Discover's secured "it" card with only $200. 8 months later, I graduated and they gave me a credit line in the thousands.

Mar 24 2020
CREDIT UP FOR 7 POINTS

My credit went up only by 7 points when I oppened this account, It was supossed to rise my score a little more

Mar 23 2020

Was great to increase my credit,? do not use over 30% of your credit limit,? make payments few days early,?

Mar 21 2020
Dropped My Equifax 114 Points?SMH!

What kinda demonic card is this? So, I applied, and was approved for this Citi Secured Card! I haven't even physically received my card yet, BUT, my account was opened, and showed up on my Equifax as a 114 point drop in my score, according to Credit Karma! Isn't this card SUPPOSED to raise my score? I don't know if I want to keep this card, when I get it?SMH!

Mar 21 2020
Use something else.

I did a secured deposit in 2018 for $200. Since then I've oppened a couple other cards and have paid everything off 100% each month with no late payments. About 15 months after having this card they mailed me a letter saying they needed to hold my deposit for another year. Now this is a trick because if you close your account and try to get your money back your credit score will dip. Keeping the card open will mean thet hold your deposit forever.?

Mar 19 2020
You will never get a credit increase

Had this card for 2 years never missed one payment and they won't give a credit increase. Oh well that's what you get with ****y bank.

Mar 18 2020
Horrible

Got approved for this card on feb 14th 2020 it's now March 18th havent recieved the card cant get in touch with anyone and on top of that my credit went down 90 points. Its says it went down 90 points cuz I opened a new card wth I opened the card to build my credit not lower it by 90 **** points

Mar 18 2020
Fraud

I send 200 and I never received a card or Citibank dont have any knowledge of my card as well. There for i warn anyone be careful. Spam spam spam! ????

Mar 17 2020
HORRIBLE Customer Service

Stay awayfrom this card. ?This in not a great product offered by Citibank. ?Borderline preditory repayment practices.?

Mar 17 2020
Great for rebuilding

Just made my first payment a few days ago, and my score went up 31 points! I'm really happy so far.?

Mar 15 2020

Credit karma said my approval odds was good, but after I Applied I got? denied for credit! Even after I had The security deposit required!! I believe credit karma is paid to sponsor this card an other, don't fall for credit approval! They are being paid to Sponsor or promote certain cards

Min. deposit