Citi® Secured MasterCard®

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 23.24%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 23.24%* Variable

Our Take

The Citi® Secured MasterCard® is a great option for consumers looking for a starter card to help build their credit through responsible use and on-time payments.

What to Like

The Citi® Secured MasterCard® is available to people with little or no credit, and reports monthly to the major credit bureaus. There are also no application fees associated with this card, though note the required security deposit.

Look Out For

It’s a secured credit card, meaning you’ll have to put down a security deposit equal to the size of your credit limit. There’s also a relatively high APR.

Mar 06, 2017
My step-by-step process.
georgeyy Cardholder

As 2017 started, my credit score was 490. I know...it's a disaster! I ruined my credit at age 18-20. Now I am 25 and I decide to rebuild my credit back up and fix this mess. I currently have about 3 open collections and 7 hard inquiries. I'll work on removing them eventually. In the mean time, I checked the approval odds of Citi Secured MasterCard and CK deemed it "FAIR". I took a chance.

On Jan. 17, I applied online through their website. I set up a $200 deposit from my Wells Fargo checking account for them to withdraw. At the end the system stated that my application needed further review. They'll let me know the result within 1 week. I'm already thinking to myself...ahh that probably means I didn't get approved.

On Jan. 19, Citi withdrew $200 from my Wells Fargo checking account and the status of my application was still pending. I'm getting anxious.

On Jan. 24, I received a surprising email stating that I've been approved and my credit limit is $200! YES, they gave me a chance! But my credit score dropped to 459. I think that's how the system calculates the score when you open a new line of credit.

On Feb. 3, I received my new Citi Secured Mastercard! It took about 8 business days for me to receive it here in California. I activated it right away and stuffed it in my wallet.

Now from experience, I've learned to control my spending and limit myself from utilizing too much credit from this card. I read on CK forums to keep your utilization below 30%. Which means I must not spend over $60 out of my $200 credit limit. So all I did was I allow Apple Music ($14.99/month) to automatically charge my Citi card every month.

Feb. 6, Apple deducted $14.99 from my card. In the next few days a balance of $14.99 appeared on my online account. I paid it off immediately using my checking account.

Feb. 13, my score shot up to 518. Nothing massive, but it was a huge step into building up my credit again. I repeated the same step this month for March.

March 6, My credit score shot up to a whopping 563. My credit utilization is 9% and my payments are 100% on time. 2 of my 7 inquiries dropped this month as well.

SO FAR SO GOOD. I am very satisfied with this card. I will come back within 6-12 months and give it a second review to see how my progress is! Thank you Citi for taking a chance on a peasant like me. LOL!

Dec 08, 2016
Says no annual fee but it has $25 annual
MoriahL Cardholder

Card is ok. When you make a payment, the balance automatically goes down and gives you credit to use right then. Late fee is $35. Annual fee is $25, i don't know why credit karma advertises it as no fee. That's why i originally applied for the card. APR is pretty high as well. Need at least $200 deposit to get a $200 credit line.

Mar 20, 2017
Best card ever
Anonymous Cardholder

Me and my husband had terrible credit but he decided that we need to do something about our credit so he started paying a few collections that we had then he apply for That card he was approved but my application was denied. So he put my name name on his application Citi send us two cards one for each of us. This morning he check credit karma he was chock my score goes up 105  on TU . He haven't check ÉQ & EP yet wooooooh whooooooo . Oh by the way he's score only go up 2 point on Experian 😂😂 and he's score went down on TU by 12

Expect ALOT of waiting
Gummyybearx3 Cardholder

I also have the capital one secured card which they increased the limit not too long ago. I applied for this card a long wait to see if you been approved then take your deposit within a week but then take like a month to give you the card. Would've called for a refund but didn't wanna wait another 2 weeks. This banking experience is horrible try something else !!!!!

Mar 16, 2017

True! I applied for this card last Feb 3rd but until now I havent received the card. I was approved just last Thursday and it said to wait for another 7-10 days to receive it. Very loooong process. Discover and CapOne are really better to build/rebuild score.

Awesome!

I applied for this along with the Discover secured card right after my 18th birthday. They took a couple days to decide, but the deposit was withdrawn from my account this morning so I guess I'm approved!! I'll update once I use it for a while.

Enter Your Reply

Mar 13, 2017
Excellent for helping your score.
Anonymous Cardholder

So far so good. I've had this card for only 2 months and my score has improved by over 100 points! No annual fee as well. I put in a $200 deposit and only use it for gas and other minor purchases. I keep my utilization below 30%. I plan on seeing my scores in the 7s soon.

Mar 11, 2017
Amazing
Anonymous Cardholder

After almost 2 weeks of having card my credit score is up 50 points I just use for gas and lunch for work and pay my balance in full never the minimum balance due

Mar 06, 2017
My step-by-step process.
georgeyy Cardholder

Mar 08, 2017

Sooooo my question is the interest rate and do you have to keep it open for a year

Mar 09, 2017

I logged into my Citi account online and checked the rates: Rates APR for purchases 22.49% and APR for cash advances 25.74%. I suggest keeping it open for more than a year. I received a pamphlet welcoming me and disclosing this: "You will be reviewed within 18 months for eligibility to advance to a Citi Diamond Preferred Card and have your security deposit returned.

Mar 21, 2017

I applied on the 3/16 & still haven't heard anything. Kinda nervous. My Tu score is 523 an exp is 524 a point apart lol. But I'm assuming if I don't get an email or Check online something will come in the mail?

Can close at any time
Steph09031110 Cardholder

Keep in mind, and Citi Card does not state this. They run monthly Credit Checks and if they do not like your credit score, they will close your account. The 1 time credit check to open the credit card is not a one time thing. I paid on time and paid off my balances every single time. I lost my job and couldn't afford to pay my credit card off for 1 month. Finally got income and paid off my balance immediately. They Closed my account and there response was a credit check was ran and based on the repost they got they closed my account. I was not aware they ran monthly credit reports and can close your account at any time. Be careful also my credit score when I opened this account was 480 my credit score now is 550.

Mar 05, 2017

Wow, thank you..

Mar 08, 2017

Great to know; thank you. I was torn between this one and Discover (chose Discover), but still wanted this one. Now, I'm not so sure. I understand they can cancel at any time (all cards can), but the monthly score check seems a bit excessive...

Mar 10, 2017

That is very cynical of them, they are basically really discriminating blood sucking coyotes .

Mar 19, 2017

Guess you did not read the FULL Terms and Conditions on the Credit Card. It was supplied to you when you sign up.

"Credit Reports

You authorize us to get credit reports and other information about you from consumer reporting agencies and other sources, for such purposes as: determining whether to issue you a Card Account, administering, reviewing and renewing the Card Account, credit line increases or decreases, collection and other servicing of the Card Account, and offering other products and services and for any other uses permitted by law. If you ask us, we'll tell you whether or not we requested a credit bureau report and the names and addresses of any credit bureaus that provided us with such reports. From time to time, we may report negative information about your Card Account behavior, like delinquencies, to consumer reporting agencies."

Feb 28, 2017
how to make it insecured?
j3james Cardholder

i had this card for over a year, with $400 CL, never miss a payment, I cannot increase my cl and would like to know how to make it insecured? fico 680

what a waste of time !

Mar 21, 2017

If your score had gone up to 680, you should be able to apply for a regular Citi Card. I would call them and speak with one of their advisors and figure out your options. You might just be surprised.

Feb 25, 2017
Horrible
ssalters21 Cardholder

Worst customer service in the industry. Like Trump but worse. Stay Away!!!

Feb 25, 2017

Lol...like Trump? You're an idiot.

salters, you're a *****!

Bo-Ner!

😂😂😂

Mar 14, 2017

Sounds like you need your safe space...

Mar 17, 2017

Thank you for this. I for sure do NOT want anything like Trump.

Mar 18, 2017

I ASSURE YOU IM THE BEST PRESIDENT

Feb 22, 2017
Bumped score 75 points
Gentleman123 Cardholder

Easy to apply online. I had credit score of 518. Was approved for $200 secured limit. Was approved in a few days. Received card in 10 days. Charged 30% ($60), paid it off when bill arrived, and my credit score jumped up 75 points to 593 first month. I have no current debt or credit, except several mortgage companies bad marks from foreclosure last year. Note, do not exceed 29% of credit limit. If you hit 30% it will knock your score down a few points.

Highly recommend to improve your score if you have $200 for the deposit.

Citi® Secured MasterCard®