3.3

Nov 02, 2017
I love this card

7/1/17 I went with this card because the capital one card wouldn't approve me (collections from capital one 4 years ago) and the beginning was rough. They said my application will take further review and they will have an answer for me in 1 week. By day 4 the 200$ was taken out of my account. Still no word on if I was approved or not. 2 weeks went by, still no update. I called at 2 1/2 weeks and they said my application is still pending. I stated the deposit has already been pulled and I don't understand why they would pull and not approve the application. The customer service was very friendly. Few days later I was approved. Took just over a week after that to receive the card. Two weeks after that I get an email from Credit Karma saying my score changed. I looked and this card jumped me up 35 points. I have 2 things in collections and a judgement of 3,000. My score started at 451. I have not paid anything (yet) and my score after one month of opening the card is 532. This card has jumped me over 80 points in a month. Pretty happy. *Update* 11/2/17 Okay! It's been 5 months since I've had this card, I have not paid any of my collections. One medical and one from capital one for almost $500. My score is now 600. This card has not only raised my credit score 150 points, but I am also now approved with Capital One secured card! I only needed to give them $49 for a deposit and have a $200 limit. I originally wanted the capital one card but was denied but approved for this one. I cannot express how happy I am to be on the road to recovery on my credit! All payments made on time, never any issues, and my new card will be here in a few weeks! Let's see how fast my score raises now! ????????????

2047

Jun 18, 2018
Long wait times

I applied for this card on 4/22/2018 and it took until 6/17/2018 to be approved. In that time period I applied for a card with Discover and was approved in ten minutes over the phone. There was no change to my credit in that time period to affect either decision. Once I started to use my Discover card I realized that it was literally better than the Citi card in every way. I called to cancel my Citi card and was told they would mail their credit approval department (they couldn't even call their own employees). After my experiences with Citi and their customer service I recommend that you only apply for this card if you have no other option. The card has no benefits, they take forever, and there are much better options out there with either Discover or Capital One.

Jan 06, 2022
Hard to move up to unsecured with this card

Easy process to apply. Received card on time. After 12 months, received a letter stating that they need to keep my deposit for an additional 12 months. The irony is that the same day I received the letter I applied for another CITIBAN card and was approved for much larger limit.

Dec 17, 2021
Zero customer service

As long as you remember that you're nothing but a number on the balance sheet, you'll do fine with this card. But if you expect any actual customer service, forget it. Citi is a joke.

Dec 16, 2021
Horrible

I have had this card almost 4 years and every year they wont give me my deposit back nor upgrade me to an unsecured card... anyone else experience this let me know what you did because I will never use any card from Citi worst card out there.

Nov 20, 2021
Cero benefits

I applied for this card because I needed to rebuild my credit. It says that the deposit comes back after a year and you would hope that the credit limit increases. It’s been almost 4 years since I’ve had the card, I keep getting a mail each year saying that they are not returning my deposit, and my credit limit is still $200. When I call to ask about it they said that to increase my limit I had to spend $2000. What a joke, how do I spend $2000 with a $200 limit? Anyways, overall terrible card, other than being there to timestamp your credit history, it’s worthless

Nov 13, 2021
Horrible

After having the card almost 3 yrs never missed a payment never late low balance and it’s still just a secured card and they can’t/won’t provide a reason why. This card sucks and all I use it for now is a gas card so that it won’t hurt my credit score for closing it even though I want to cancel it

Nov 07, 2021
Do Not Apply to this bank

My secured account was opened then closed (by Citibank) the very next day and they haven’t refunded my money yet. It’s now been over a month that Citibank has been in possession of my $200 security deposit and no one can give me a date on when to expect it to be re-deposited bank to my bank. Stay away from Citibank if you value your time and money. I want to warn as many people as I can because obviously they keep getting away with this kind of stuff and somebody needs to do better at overseeing companies like this.

Oct 02, 2021
DENIED

Never believe you are pre-approved or any of the pre screened offers if this card is suggested. My credit got dinged with a hard inquiry, then I was denied.

Oct 01, 2021
Closed my Account after 2yrs on time payments

So I got this secured card to help rebuild my credit from when I was a teen. For about 2 years - I paid my balance, in full, or just about in full 95% of the time. Only time I ever missed a payment is when I had a transaction get reversed, but paid the entire reversal, plus fees back, the following week. This happened again after close to another year of on time payments and instantly my account was closed with no warning. Be aware you can use this card and make on time payments for 40+ months and they will close your account at the slightest inconvenience that you have no control over. Their customer service told me they can not see any details to why it was closed, even admitting they see my track record has been just about 100% since opening, and that I have to wait for a letter in the mail to find out why it was closed. Would not, and will not recommend unless this is the only option you have left.

Sep 22, 2021
Worst card ever

I applied for this card because credit karma suggested it you know to help me built my credit. I was approved so I sent in my security deposit which was $300 back in February 2021. I paid my balance completely off before my due date. So in July I tried to pay my balance with my American Express Serve card and they said it was fraud. However I didn’t get the email at the time so I just assumed that I’ve paid my balance. About three days after that I called they told me to use another card. So I withdrew the money and deposited it on my other checking card. Tried to pay again paid it than I was denied access and my account was closed. My credit score dropped 51 points and I still haven’t received my security deposit back. Do not waste your time.

Sep 09, 2021
Great card to rebuild credit with

Ive had this card for about 4 months. Its secured so I sent it the maximum amount $2500 which becomes your credit limit. not sure why I see so many people put the minimum to 500 range and then complain when they go over 30%. customer service is great! No complaints thus far. Hopefully at the maturity date the card becomes unsecured and my $2500 will be returned to me.