Min. deposit

$0

3.4

Nov 02, 2017
I love this card

7/1/17 I went with this card because the capital one card wouldn't approve me (collections from capital one 4 years ago) and the beginning was rough. They said my application will take further review and they will have an answer for me in 1 week. By day 4 the 200$ was taken out of my account. Still no word on if I was approved or not. 2 weeks went by, still no update. I called at 2 1/2 weeks and they said my application is still pending. I stated the deposit has already been pulled and I don't understand why they would pull and not approve the application. The customer service was very friendly. Few days later I was approved. Took just over a week after that to receive the card. Two weeks after that I get an email from Credit Karma saying my score changed. I looked and this card jumped me up 35 points. I have 2 things in collections and a judgement of 3,000. My score started at 451. I have not paid anything (yet) and my score after one month of opening the card is 532. This card has jumped me over 80 points in a month. Pretty happy. *Update* 11/2/17 Okay! It's been 5 months since I've had this card, I have not paid any of my collections. One medical and one from capital one for almost $500. My score is now 600. This card has not only raised my credit score 150 points, but I am also now approved with Capital One secured card! I only needed to give them $49 for a deposit and have a $200 limit. I originally wanted the capital one card but was denied but approved for this one. I cannot express how happy I am to be on the road to recovery on my credit! All payments made on time, never any issues, and my new card will be here in a few weeks! Let's see how fast my score raises now! ????????????

1981

Jun 18, 2018
Long wait times

I applied for this card on 4/22/2018 and it took until 6/17/2018 to be approved. In that time period I applied for a card with Discover and was approved in ten minutes over the phone. There was no change to my credit in that time period to affect either decision. Once I started to use my Discover card I realized that it was literally better than the Citi card in every way. I called to cancel my Citi card and was told they would mail their credit approval department (they couldn't even call their own employees). After my experiences with Citi and their customer service I recommend that you only apply for this card if you have no other option. The card has no benefits, they take forever, and there are much better options out there with either Discover or Capital One.

Sep 22, 2021
Worst card ever

I applied for this card because credit karma suggested it you know to help me built my credit. I was approved so I sent in my security deposit which was $300 back in February 2021. I paid my balance completely off before my due date. So in July I tried to pay my balance with my American Express Serve card and they said it was fraud. However I didn’t get the email at the time so I just assumed that I’ve paid my balance. About three days after that I called they told me to use another card. So I withdrew the money and deposited it on my other checking card. Tried to pay again paid it than I was denied access and my account was closed. My credit score dropped 51 points and I still haven’t received my security deposit back. Do not waste your time.

Sep 13, 2021
Fees suck and never gave me unsecured card 3years

Good luck with that. I had this card almost 3years and they would never give me an unsecured card so I canceled this card it never did anything for me or improved my credit I paid the card balance off every month and never late and my credit isn't that bad anoi have a home loan a car loan and 3 other credit cards that aren't even secured .And all customer service people for Citi bank are from a middle eastern country and hard to communicate English with

Sep 09, 2021
Great card to rebuild credit with

Ive had this card for about 4 months. Its secured so I sent it the maximum amount $2500 which becomes your credit limit. not sure why I see so many people put the minimum to 500 range and then complain when they go over 30%. customer service is great! No complaints thus far. Hopefully at the maturity date the card becomes unsecured and my $2500 will be returned to me.

Sep 09, 2021
Do not get this card!!!

Worst card I have. I've had this secured card for 3 years, never missed a payment and they still haven't upgraded me to regular credit card or returned my $300 deposit. This card sucks!!!. My capital one secured card upgraded me after a few months and so did my discover card, my limits on those are 2k and 5k. I also have 2 amex cards a synchrony card and a PayPal card all of which are better than this citibank garbage. I want my 300 dollars back, it has been 3 flawless years, I more than earned it

Sep 07, 2021
Great starter card hands down!

Since 2016 credits has been on the rebuild and in 2020 I finally made it to the 600 mark. So I applied for this card in Jan '21 through Credit Karma suggestions and was initially hesitant. So I looked through the fine print, looked at interest and cashback. I've had it for the last 8 months and love it. Pro tip: If you are a college student apply for the Discover It Student Card and take advantages of said benefits because If you get this card you're stuck with it and can 't get a new Discover card until your year mark is up. Other than that hiccup i love this card. 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants, 1% everywhere else. Truly

Sep 02, 2021
Card no good

I payed of my card and never received my security back

Aug 13, 2021
Total crap

Citi bank is a heartless bank, I don't even want pretzel from them even if it's free.

Aug 11, 2021
Inadequate rejection policy.

I had a large personal and business account with this bank. I also got a 1500 Chase credit card already. But this backward bank twice rejected my request for a secure credit card.

Aug 01, 2021
Please don’t waste your time applying

Had this card for 3 years and never graduated. Never a late payment. Never went over the limit. Don’t bother contacting them because the customer service employees are outsourced and have no idea why. They really suck. This card doesn’t even let you add to your security deposit. Try discover or capital one if you really want to rebuild your credit because this company will not help you at all. If you are reading this review, you have been warned

Jul 31, 2021
Great 1st Credit Card!

Applied for this card in April was approved and being paying my bill on time or before the due date for the last 3 months. My credit score shot up to 769 before I decide to apply for a another credit card with Capital One. It took me about a month or so to decide on this card since I had so many cards to choose from. I read all the terms and conditions on all the cards. I read the positive and negative reviews as well before I decide. I was approved with a matter of seconds with an credit line of $5000. I was shocked since I wasn't expecting it to be so high. I can get approved for an credit increase up to $10000 after a few months. So I'm gonna do what I did with my 1st card wait 3 to 4 months before applying for a 3rd card. I'm trying to get my credit score up to the 800's before applying for mortgage lenders. I recommend this card to anyone who is looking to increase their credit score in a matter of months. My score shot up to 86 points with Equifax after I first used it to pay my phone bill. I don't use no more than 30% of my card balance since that is the general rule of thumb. I use it once a month to pay a bill then put it away for the rest of the month. And they are excellent at reporting payments to the Credit Bureau each month after the billing date it gets reported. I hope my experience will help the next person on deciding on getting this card. Good Luck!

Min. deposit