The application and approval process was very simple and fast and was approved in seconds. Best way to get card fast is if you have bank account and you pay your deposit through your account. I received my card in 7 days and when you receive it and open up your online account your 35 yearly fee is already deducted from your card balance. Pay it immediately! Its the price to pay to get back in and play. It takes a while for your payment to clear and get your balance back and also the website is very elementary. Your score will go up but my rule of thumb is to not use anymore than 20% on card and pay it immediately. This is NOT a card for pleasure or for benefits and the card in reality sucks but im not in this for fun...purely business. My goal is to recover my credit post bankruptcy and this card is the tool I am afforded to accomplish that and only option I had. If you have horrible credit and just want to build a new foundation for yourself this card is for you. If you have options with credit cards than this is not the card for you. If you pay your balance off immediately after using it than you should be clear of any interest. Use this card wisely and remember your goal! Hope thus helps.
ADDITIONAL RATINGS YOU MIGHT FIND HELPFUL
- Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
- Balance Transfer Regular APR Not Applicable
- Annual Fee $35
- Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
- Purchase Regular APR 17.64%* Variable
The OpenSky® Secured Credit Visa® Card is a good choice for people who are looking to build their credit without paying too much in fees.
What to Like
The OpenSky® Secured Credit Visa® Card reports regularly to all 3 major credit bureaus, making it useful for building credit. The $35 annual fee is relatively low for a card aimed at people with limited credit history, and there are no other processing, servicing or application fees. There’s no credit check for applicants, and the 17.64% APR is competitive for a card made for low score users.
Look Out For
There’s a slightly higher penalty APR for cardholders who have missed a payment. This is also a secured credit card, meaning you’ll have to put down a deposit equal to your credit line in order to get access to credit.
Most Helpful Positive Review
Most Helpful Negative Review
I've had this card a little over a year now. I try to remind myself that it is only a tool in my toolbox. And bearing that in mind, they are very good at reporting your balance and payment data every month. But here are a couple of things that you may benefit from knowing:
1. They report your balance/data near the end of the month (the 28th or so). That's when they do mine. Ask them when they do yours. Make your payment so that it processes through before your reporting date, then don't add anything else to the account until after the reporting date. Your balance will be lower, and your utilization percentage will be it's most favorable, at that time than any other time during your billing cycle. Make sense?
2. The only way to get your secured deposit back is to close the card.
3. The only way to get a credit increase is to deposit more money into your account.
4. If you get frustrated and close your account, it's going to affect your CR in a negative way. Primarily because you have reduced your overall creditworthiness (one less open account). I have one, my son has one. I think once I've accumulated a few other accounts for 2+ years, my CR will be strong enough to take the ding from closing the account.
So, that's what I've learned first hand from having this card. And what I wish someone would have passed on to me. It's a good "last resort" to have in your toolbox, just remember it is a tool and the goal is to get better cards down the line.
See Your Approval Odds Before You Apply
Sign up for a free membership, and Credit Karma can estimate your chances of approval based on your credit profile. You’ll also get:
- Credit scores and reports
- Credit monitoring
- Personalized recommendations
See the online Provider's credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the 'Apply Now' button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the provider's website.
† Credit Karma looks at how your credit profile compares to other Credit Karma members who were approved for this product. Of course, there's no such thing as a sure thing, but knowing whether your Approval Odds are Very Good, Good, Fair or Poor may help you narrow down your choices.
‡ Average score refers to the arithmetic mean and typical low score to the 5th percentile of, in each case, available VantageScore 3.0 credit scores provided by TransUnion of Credit Karma members who were approved for this product from June 2014 through November 2014. Average and typical approved scores are provided as guidelines only and approval is not guaranteed. You can learn more about credit card approval through our in-depth article.