Min. deposit

3.5
from Credit Karma members in the last year

Apr 23 2017
Use It to Your Advantage

Okay so I see a lot of negative reviews that I think mostly stem from Open Sky not clearly communicating the process/when they report to bureaus etc. Here's the deal. If you want a boost in your score quickly, apply for the card around the 15th-20th of the month. Open Sky reports to the credit bureaus on the last business day of the month (then sometimes it takes a week or so after that for the bureau to reflect the change). It takes 3-4 days for your $200 (or whatever) deposit to go through, and for the card to be shipped, after approval. Your account isn't considered open until the date the card is shipped. The card comes with the $35 annual fee already tacked onto the balance and if you ordered your card mid-late in the month, that $35 won't be due until the end of the next month (but it will count towards utilization when reported to the bureus, which is a good thing, as long as you keep utilization under 30%. $35 out of $200 is 17.5%). Each month, your bill is due on the 28th. So to absolutely optimize the credit boost you can get from this card: order it around the 18th of the month. The card will probably ship out around the 22nd. Don't worry about paying the $35 fee the second you get the card - you can activate it with the $35 fee on there. Let the utilization work for you when they report to the bureus on the last business day of the month, then on like the 5th of the next month, pay the $35 off. Now, set up a monthly small charge, like Netflix or something, to come out mid month, and DONT use your card other than that monthly charge. When you get your bill in the beginning of the month each month, pay off the last month's balance in full. I've had the card for a couple months, and that's all I've learned from research/talking to their customer service. It's worked well for me so far!

Jan 01 2018
Starter Card

I originally applied for a Citi Bank Secured card and was declined, so I had to dramatically lower my expectations and applied for this one. At the time I had about a 560ish Fico score across the board with lots of things in collections. I've had the card for almost a year now, pay my bills on time every time, and they report it to all the credit agencies every month,?albeit?a month behind. Yes there is a 10 Day wait before the credit line becomes available to you, but?I think that is because they're are waiting to see if the payment which has to be made with a bank account returns. Fair enough in my opinion for this kind of card. My credit score has raised considerably since I applied for this card and am now able to get unsecured credit cards. Once I hit my credit score goal I plan on dumping them but for now they do nothing but help. I think if you have bad credit like me and?pay your bill on time, this card is a great starter for people starting over.

May 28 2020
Horrible Customer Service

I am not going to leave any time for me to cool off. I am a customer of OpenSky and have been for 3 years. Today, I called because I was unable to use my card (it was a block on it from a recent ACH return). I am explaining to the representative that the money never drafted my account AND I had exactly $300 (amount to deduct) in that account for that purpose. He raised his voice, I raised mine, and he hung up in my face. I called literally 10 times from 9:01 AM - 9:28 AM and every time my call would get disconnected. I am very disappointed in the representatives that work in their call center. Remember, you’re easily replaced.

May 24 2020
3 years later

i've had this card for three years they've given me a chance when others didn't at all. now that I've moved on to American Express and discover & others I've built my credit with open sky and capital one secured in the beginning. I still have this card open because I don't want to hurt my history timeline but my advise for this card and other cards with high apr is to pay off in full or near full because its not worth it but I have no complaints I used this card strictly to build Meaning (buying gas or something to eat) and pay off. Now I only use for Netflix nothing else I no longer carry with me.

May 23 2020
No update on card status

I applied a week ago, funded my 500 deposit and tried to see what my status was and nothing. Called an they still can't tell me my status but took my deposit with the quickness

May 21 2020
Not reporting to credit bureaus

Application process was easy and they took my deposit right away. Took longer than usual to receive the card. Have made all payments on time and has yet to report to any credit bureaus that my account even exists. Downloaded the app to make payments. Only customer service contact listed is a mailing address.

May 08 2020
Great Card For Rebuilding Credit

I went through a divorce and my credit score took a deep drop. I’ve had this card for 1 year and 2 months, use it, and pay it. People have to keep in mind that this is a secure card and for building credit. Regarding increases, I’ve never been offered but the point of this card is so you can rebuild your credit so that you can apply for non-secure cards. This is a tool and if you use it right, it will work. If you ha e this card and need to pay more to add a higher credit, then you aren’t using it right. After about a year you should be ready to apply for a regular credit card anyway.

Secure Credit Card

Great card. This is my first credit card and it definitely helped open a lot of doors for me since I got it.

It works

I'm 71 years old..about a year and a half ago I had no Credit..fact is at my age I didnt think I would need credit..never expected to buy a house again or new car for that matter..the house I was renting for 11 years the owner decided he was going to sell it..at my age I didnt want to move so I decided I do need credit..and the best think that happened to me at that time was see OPENSKY..where I could secure a credit card with 300$ and start to build my credit..IT WORKS..within months I was able to buy a new used car..within a year I was able to buy my house..since then I have acquired 5 well known credit card raised my credit score to 713..and I truly thank OPENSKY for getting me started..IT WORKS..And truly I would like to thank OPENSKY. And if you truly want to start getting and improving your Credit ..OPENSKY is one hellofa place to start..these are the facts from Bob Acton..and I highly recommend OPENSKY as A Starting point..Good Day

May 06 2020
SIMPLE. TAKE ADVANTAGE

Stop being scared and hesitant. Apply load it up with guns and watch your score go up. Patience

May 01 2020
Worked for me

This card is great for building credit especially if your other options are slim to none. Application process was fairly easy and my score jumped just for applying for the card. I started in the mid 500’s 7 months later I’m a little over 650! It worked great for me, just keep credit usage under 30% make payments on time and your golden.

Min. deposit