3.7

Apr 23, 2017
Use It to Your Advantage

Okay so I see a lot of negative reviews that I think mostly stem from Open Sky not clearly communicating the process/when they report to bureaus etc. Here's the deal. If you want a boost in your score quickly, apply for the card around the 15th-20th of the month. Open Sky reports to the credit bureaus on the last business day of the month (then sometimes it takes a week or so after that for the bureau to reflect the change). It takes 3-4 days for your $200 (or whatever) deposit to go through, and for the card to be shipped, after approval. Your account isn't considered open until the date the card is shipped. The card comes with the $35 annual fee already tacked onto the balance and if you ordered your card mid-late in the month, that $35 won't be due until the end of the next month (but it will count towards utilization when reported to the bureus, which is a good thing, as long as you keep utilization under 30%. $35 out of $200 is 17.5%). Each month, your bill is due on the 28th. So to absolutely optimize the credit boost you can get from this card: order it around the 18th of the month. The card will probably ship out around the 22nd. Don't worry about paying the $35 fee the second you get the card - you can activate it with the $35 fee on there. Let the utilization work for you when they report to the bureus on the last business day of the month, then on like the 5th of the next month, pay the $35 off. Now, set up a monthly small charge, like Netflix or something, to come out mid month, and DONT use your card other than that monthly charge. When you get your bill in the beginning of the month each month, pay off the last month's balance in full. I've had the card for a couple months, and that's all I've learned from research/talking to their customer service. It's worked well for me so far!

Jan 01, 2018
Starter Card

I originally applied for a Citi Bank Secured card and was declined, so I had to dramatically lower my expectations and applied for this one. At the time I had about a 560ish Fico score across the board with lots of things in collections. I've had the card for almost a year now, pay my bills on time every time, and they report it to all the credit agencies every month,?albeit?a month behind. Yes there is a 10 Day wait before the credit line becomes available to you, but?I think that is because they're are waiting to see if the payment which has to be made with a bank account returns. Fair enough in my opinion for this kind of card. My credit score has raised considerably since I applied for this card and am now able to get unsecured credit cards. Once I hit my credit score goal I plan on dumping them but for now they do nothing but help. I think if you have bad credit like me and?pay your bill on time, this card is a great starter for people starting over.

1920

Nov 29, 2021
Good card

This is a very good card the annual fee is reasonable as well If you keep maintaining your payments on time they will even give you a line of credit increase I’m very much please with this card and had no problems As long as you communicate with the card company trust me they will find away to help

Nov 20, 2021
Does what it’s suppose to do

This card helped my credit I keep the balance low and after about 6 months of on time payments my limit increased and it helped my credit score just. Little more, this card does what it’s suppose to do

Nov 10, 2021
500 Increased

I got my 200 secured card increased to 700 today with 500 from open sky with no additional deposit .

Nov 09, 2021
It's okay for your first card

tips to relieve headaches about this card even though the application on the website says you can use a PO Box as a mailing address do not use the PO Box use a residential address to have it sent to they do not send to PO boxes for your first card it takes about 7 to 10 business days for them to send out your card after you receive your card it does not come with a pin and you must request the pin which will take another 7 to 10 business days for it to get to your residential address also after activating your card you will be hit with a 35 activation fee communication is scarce about the whereabouts of your card and everything is done through mail which is old and outdated if you report your card stolen a new one will be expedited to your residential and come with tracking

Oct 30, 2021
Watch your credit drop

As u watch your credit drop u will be helped by unprofessional representatives on phone calls that will last hours they will assure u they will fix the mistake but they won’t

Oct 22, 2021
Great for building credit

I applied and was approved with a bad credit score. I’ve had it 6 months now and my credit score changed over 70 points! If you use this card wisely (less than 30%) and pay on time it will help your credit. My complaints are how long it takes for a payment to process. It can be over a week or more! I learned to pay early so that I don’t get caught being late. Overall a decent starter card.

Oct 19, 2021
Worst company

If you try to do anything it’s like pulling teeth. It takes one employee to mess everything up for a customer and no one’s willing to fix it.

Oct 17, 2021
12 months later -- I have 4 unsecured cards now!

They did all they said they would do. The $35 fee per card to open was worth it as it allowed me to rebuild my credit. I had not had any unsecured cards in many years. I could not get any. When my scores got back up, I applied for this card and did the deposit. Not long after they invited me to apply for a 2nd secured card. I used no more than 10% of the secured line each month and paid it off once the statement closed. After a few months I applied for the mission lane unsecured card with no annual fee. I got approved for it, had a dinky credit line, but never used more than 10% of the line and paid it off once the statement closed. Then I did it for Merrick Bank unsecured card, they approved me for a little more than Mission Lane. After 6 months of following the pattern, using no more than 10% and paying it off once the statement closed, they doubled my credit line in 6 months. I then applied for the Credit One Card, same thing. I recently applied for the SoFi unsecured card, I would say is the most premium of any of the cards I have applied for so far. They approved me for $2,500. I am at around 12 month since I started all this with OpenSky. I would not be here if not for the service OpenSky provides to help people rebuild their credit. When I wrote the a letter to close my accounts and had paid them off in full it was a few weeks to get my refund checks back on the deposits. I deposited them and got my refunds back on the deposits. They did all they said they would do.

Oct 15, 2021
Horrible Customer Servicee

They are the worst. You can never get ahold of them. If you do and have questions they simply put you on eternal hold hoping you'll hang up. The last lady I spoke with was extremely rude. No cares about my concerns whatsoever. There are other more legitimate companies that allow you to do a secured credit card. Look at all of your other options, steer clear of these people. They also go under another name which is very confusing.

Oct 13, 2021
Gotta Give Credit Where Credit Is Due!

I’m pleased with using OpenSky. It was my first credit card experience and I was so nervous but I applied anyway. Make sure to only make small purchases and have the mindset that it’s only for emergencies if you have to.