Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Purchase Regular APR 24.99%* Variable

May 05, 2013
Satisfied in an understatment
Anonymous Cardholder

I don't usually leave comments, but I hope this helps someone in need. 10 months ago, I had no idea how credit worked and how important it is to establish it. For some reason, I was consistently denied by various credit card companies, including department stores. I had no hope.

Then I came across this secured card, I remember checking my score and it was estimated to be 550 (yeah, that's crap).

Now its been 10 months, $200 limit, no missed payments; my score is 669 with equifax and 680 with transunion. To top it off, I went to my bank (BofA) and was approved for credit card with a $2500 limit.

I have this secured card to thank for getting me started. I see a lot of people complaining about not being able to get the $200 back. I say, forget the $200 bucks, Capital One can keep it. The credit score increase has been invaluable as it literally jump started me to be able to do what I need in the future.

Aug 10, 2012
Anonymous Cardholder

It's a great card to recover your credit history, but read the fine print, realize that the APR is very high, and don't expect a real credit limit increase. I decided to get this secured card after I defaulted on my student loans before establishing any real credit history. I was finally able to recover my finances and pay off the loans, but the damage was done and no bank was going to look at my history and extend credit. Since I already had a Cap One banking and savings account, it made sense to stick with them for a secured card, given that they have a pretty solid reputation and my accounts would be streamlined. So, made a $300 deposit, got the card, and started using it responsibly. A year later, they increased my limit by $100. Cool!

So, after another year of careful use, I called them to see about another limit increase. No dice. Asked about having my deposit refunded and moving to a regular Cap One MC. Sure, but I would actually have to close the secured card and open a new unsecured card, but it would report as one card. Wait . . . what!? Is that even possible? Can two accounts be "tied" together to report as one card?

In the end, I pulled my scores, decided they were acceptable (despite my limited history), and found out that my student loan default had been changed to report as paid in good standing (guess someone I spoke to at the collection office had a heart!). Took a total shot in the dark and applied for a low APR rewards card with another bank and not only got an instant approval, but a $5000 credit limit!

So, this will get you out of trouble with careful use, but might become a burden later - now I'm stuck with a low limit, high interest card that has tied up $300 of my money, plus a yearly fee. And I don't dare close the account, because it's my oldest card.

I feel that Cap One's claim of a "refundable" deposit may be a but misleading, since many other secured cards will credit back the deposit once an account has remained in good standing for an amount of time.

Reviews (1364)

Capital One screwed up
Jfabro Cardholder

Soo last week i posted a positive review of the card. Of course, they had to go and blow it. I was given a $2000 credit limit increase. I checked just now and notice that my credit limit was decreased to $500 from $2000. I call customer service and they informed me that there was a "company wide error" where they gave a lot of customers credit limit increases "by accident "
Not cool Capital One. Especially after i gave my praise.

May 30, 2016

That's what i thought. Mystery solved. You only supposed to get $300 increase at 6 months and if your lucky another $250 at the one year mark.

May 31, 2016

That stinks, that post had me really excited. Thanks for the update though. Sorry that happened...

May 29, 2016
Excellent card for building credit

Hi, I am Anna, just got back here in Seattle from the Philippines with no credit score at all. I did my research and came to this page. There are a lot of secured cards I was prompted so I was confuse which one to choose. Then after reading reviews, feedbacks and comments about this Capital One Secured Card I applied for it right away. I have open up a checking account with Chase 5 days after my arrival from the Philippines that is how i funded my $500 deposit. First deposit processed online was on April 15 $50, then another $49 on April 27 and last deposit of $250 which was cleared of my Checking accnt on May 9.  I was given til July 4(80days from first deposit) to add-on to my deposit to increased my credit line. Since $49 dollars would only give me $200 Credit Limit. There was a confirmation page stating that it may take 10 business days to clear my payment for the first $49 deposit. I received my card on May 2 had it activated the next day, May 3 when i saw that the last $250 deposit was deducted from my checking account. ( MAKE SURE DEPOSIT HAS BEEN POSTED ON CAPITAL ONE, CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE THE BEST WAY) since mine didnt post right away on my Capital One online account, not after 7 CALENDAR DAYS). I used my card for just small buys, but a few big buys but I made sure to pay it off before it gets posted on my Capital One App. As of today May 29, I check my credit score from CreditKarma, it reflected TU 649 & EQ 656. With just less than a month long having this Capital One Card I was able to get numbers on my before-Zero Credit Score. Please do make sure to keep your utilization rate below 30%, mine was $31% so yeah. Highly Recommended for people building credit.

May 28, 2016

I applied for this card based on credit karma's very good odds of approval. I was denied acc haven't been given an explanation as to why. Very discouraging

May 30, 2016

wait for the letter that they usually send , that happened to me one time , i applied for the card and got denied but a week later got a letter from then in the mail stating that if i may a deposit they would give me the card ,, sadly at that moment i was young and careless and dint took it even after applying for it ,,, so hang in there maybe you'll get approved after all , best advice is to call then and talk to then .

Best Secured Card To Build Credit With
MetalGuy052 Cardholder

I'm 29 years old and never had a credit card or taken out any loans lol. I decided 7 months ago to get serious about building some credit history because I have been saving for a car loan. I did some research online and found this card. I was appoved with the $49 deposit and $200 limit. After the first month of reporting my credit score jumped from 530 to 660!

My strategy has been to buy something very cheap and pay it off as soon as it posts. After 5 months of ontime in full payments, keeping my utilization at 0% I was given a credit limit increase of $300.

By april my CK scores hit tu693 703eq. Now my CK scores are Tu697 and Eq707. Every month they seem to go up little by little. My actual Experian Fico is now 733.

If you don't have anything bad on your report your score will increase rapidly with just this one card. Don't be like me and wait until you're almost 30 to start building your credit lol. Be responsible and only buy stuff you can pay for with this card and you can boost your scores very quickly.

Final note: Capital one pulls reports from all of the big three so be prepared to have an inquiry on your eq, ex and tu if you want this card. I'm also preapproved for the QS1 card from cap1 as well as the unsecured platinum but for reasons stated above I don't think I'll be applying.

May 28, 2016

I think you should apply for the cards and continue how you are now. The higher credit limit you have the better you score. Just because you have the cards doesnt mean you have to use them. I have the secured & qs1 and just put a tank of gas on each & pay it off. Your score will increase!

May 30, 2016

afewgoodwoman1 do you pay it off when you get your statement or before?

May 30, 2016

Thanks for your reply afewgoodwoman1 😊. I have been reconsidering the qs1 but I don't know if I'll want to pay the annual fee. I would probably take the platinum and use it similarly to the secured platinum but I wonder what credit limit they would start me at. I used the scenario tool on the cap1 site and you are right, if I open another card with a $1k limit or higher my scores will increase! But if the limit is under 1k even 1 dollar below my scores will decrease lol. So I'm kind of in a tight spot haha.

May 30, 2016

gdgrltrish, I always pay in full as soon as it posts. Usually it's pending for two or three days before it posts and is subtracted from my credit limit. They will still report usage even if your balance is at 0% as long as you bought something that month.

It is great to have it
Johanna1357 Cardholder

There is nothing to complain about, this card is a blessing for me

May 27, 2016
You will never get a credit increase!!!!
Ichabod24 Cardholder

I've had this card for 3 years.  I've never had a late payment, I have used the card regularly, always paid more than the minimum and never gone over my credit limit.  So after 3 years I ask for a credit limit increase and they deny it saying "Unsecured credit line increases are not available upon request on Secured Card accounts".  So when they state in their advertisement that "You may qualify for a credit line increase based on your payment history and creditworthiness with no additional deposit required" , this is an absolute lie.  I haven't missed a payment in any area of my credit in over 3 years!!  I have a Merrick Bank card that has already given me a credit line increase without me even having to ask after only a little over a year.  I contacted Capital One and they kept saying "We try to provide our customers with all the best options".  No!!! They don't!!!  They just kept asking me to put more money down!!  Only use this card if you have to like I did after my bankruptcy.  Once your credit gets a little better take an offer from another credit card company because, trust me,  you will never get anything like a credit line increase or interest reduction from CAPITAL ONE!  They don't value your business and never will.

May 28, 2016

Can you please tell me.. Were you out of bankruptcy when you got this card or did they approve you before your bankruptcy was discharged?

May 28, 2016

I'm not sure how much of your credit limit you ate using every month but if you max out the card and pay over the minimum balance each month, you aren't building your credit. You can only use a fraction of the credit limit, I think it's 10-30% and pay it off when it's posted. If the credit card company sees you constantly max out your card they won't think you are responsible enough for an increase. Hopes this helps

May 29, 2016

I got a credit increase of $300 with 5 on time payments. My utilization was always below 30%

Anonymous Cardholder

PLEASE DON'T GET THIS CARD I GOT THAT CARD HAD FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS PAID EVERY SINGLE PAYMENT ON TIME NEVER USED MORE THAN 35 THEY NEVER REPORT MY PAYMENT TO CREDIT BUREAU WHEN I CALLED THEY TOLD ME IT WILL TAKE,60 TO 90 DAYS TO CORRECT THE ISSUE BEFORE I CAN SEE RESULT ON MY CREDIT I'M GOING TO PAY IT OFF DON'T USE IT OR CLOSE THE ACCOUNT THIS IS CRAZY :(

May 26, 2016

I agree mines was never reported either.

May 26, 2016

Did they explain why it wasn't reported?

May 26, 2016

Why hasn't it been reported ?

May 26, 2016

Maybe they won't report your account to bureaus because you use all caps annoyingly.

May 27, 2016

Answering on a mature level.... They said they report the day after the closing of the billing cycle. They said you have to call the credit bereua and find out why it's not on your credit report :/ That's the answer they gave me I had mines 3 months with 10% utilization and it was also never reported.

May 29, 2016

It takes 6 months to establish good credit and for it to show on your credit report. It isn't a quick fix, takes time.

May 25, 2016

How long does it take to receive your card after deposit has been cleared from bank?

Took me about 2 weeks.

May 30, 2016

my deposit posted on 5/19 is 5/30 today and still haven't receive it , hope to have it by the end of the week .

Top Similar Cards

Search All Cards

Rate this card overall

Statistics

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One offers numerous credit cards to fit consumers’ needs, including rewards cards, competitive rate cards, student cards, secured cards, and several co-branded cards. Capital One's Card Finder Tool also helps consumers determine which card is the right fit, with a quick online form to determine the best card offers according to each consumer's spending needs and finances, with results in about 60 seconds. Headquartered in Virginia, credit cards are issued by Capital One Bank and available in branch and online. Capital One serves banking customers in branches located primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Credit cards are available online to all customers nationwide.

Capital One, founded in 1988, is a Fortune 500 company and is a diversified financial services company, offering an array of credit, savings, and loan products for consumer, small business, and commercial clients.

† We look at how your credit profile compares to other Credit Karma members who were approved for this product. Of course, there’s no such thing as a sure thing, but knowing whether your Approval Odds are Very Good, Good, Fair or Poor may help you narrow down your choices.

Capital One® Secured MasterCard®