Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
Purchase Regular APR 22.9%* Variable
Annual Fee $29

About Credit Karma

Thinking about applying? Credit Karma can estimate your Approval Odds based on your credit profile. Get your information for free and get started.
  • Credit Scores
  • Credit Reports
  • Personalized Offers

May 05, 2013

Satisfied in an understatment

I don't usually leave comments, but I hope this helps someone in need. 10 months ago, I had no idea how credit worked and how important it is to establish it. For some reason, I was consistently denied by various credit card companies, including department stores. I had no hope.

Then I came across this secured card, I remember checking my score and it was estimated to be 550 (yeah, that's crap).

Now its been 10 months, $200 limit, no missed payments; my score is 669 with equifax and 680 with transunion. To top it off, I went to my bank (BofA) and was approved for credit card with a $2500 limit.

I have this secured card to thank for getting me started. I see a lot of people complaining about not being able to get the $200 back. I say, forget the $200 bucks, Capital One can keep it. The credit score increase has been invaluable as it literally jump started me to be able to do what I need in the future.

Most Helpful Critical Review

Aug 10, 2012

Helpful to 2073 out of 2177 people

It's a great card to recover your credit history, but read the fine print, realize that the APR is very high, and don't expect a real credit limit increase. I decided to get this secured card after I defaulted on my student loans before establishing any real credit history. I was finally able to recover my finances and pay off the loans, but the damage was done and no bank was going to look at my history and extend credit. Since I already had a Cap One banking and savings account, it made sense to stick with them for a secured card, given that they have a pretty solid reputation and my accounts would be streamlined. So, made a $300 deposit, got the card, and started using it responsibly. A year later, they increased my limit by $100. Cool!

So, after another year of careful use, I called them to see about another limit increase. No dice. Asked about having my deposit refunded and moving to a regular Cap One MC. Sure, but I would actually have to close the secured card and open a new unsecured card, but it would report as one card. Wait . . . what!? Is that even possible? Can two accounts be "tied" together to report as one card?

In the end, I pulled my scores, decided they were acceptable (despite my limited history), and found out that my student loan default had been changed to report as paid in good standing (guess someone I spoke to at the collection office had a heart!). Took a total shot in the dark and applied for a low APR rewards card with another bank and not only got an instant approval, but a $5000 credit limit!

So, this will get you out of trouble with careful use, but might become a burden later - now I'm stuck with a low limit, high interest card that has tied up $300 of my money, plus a yearly fee. And I don't dare close the account, because it's my oldest card.

I feel that Cap One's claim of a "refundable" deposit may be a but misleading, since many other secured cards will credit back the deposit once an account has remained in good standing for an amount of time.

Reviews (810)

Satisfied in an understatment

Helpful to 2073 out of 2177 people

Mar 27, 2015

this company sucks

there fuking lairs they want a score of 603 i have 608 ******* turn me down fuk them do not need them anyway tbrunn

tommy610's review was:

The Great Hope!

After years & years of irresponsibility and damaging my credit significantly, I finally buckled down and decided to repair it. This card was a saving grace for me when I had given up hope of being approved for any card. Yes, you have to put a deposit on the card(which is going to be your CL), but it definitely is the best move to rebuild your credit. GOOD LUCK!

jtwilson05's review was:

Mar 25, 2015

Great after a bankruptcy!

I had a bankruptcy in 2013 and I was pleased to start rebuilding my credit. Capital One used to be one of the companies I couldn't stand, but over the years, they have really progressed with their customer service. My original balance started off low, and it was unnerving knowing I had to make a deposit, but after paying the bill on time, they increased my limit without having to even make another deposit! I have since then been offered an unsecured card with them, which has a high limit and rewards. I'm thankful this card was brought into my life and helped me re-build what I had lost.

laurenfrom609's review was:

Mar 23, 2015

Great card to rebuild your credit

I had the card since June 2013 and made every single payment on time since.  My credit before I got the card was at 505-540, now my credit is in the 630-680 thanks to this card.  There is no annual fee for me and no credit increases without more deposit.  I know the review on the card said there's a $29 annual fee and credit increase but I never saw those.  I have contacted Capital One about credit increases and they replied twice that they cannot increase it due to that it is a secured card so they couldn't increase my line of credit.  I was ok with that because since Feb 2015 came around, I applied and been approved for 3 other credit card and had since then cancel this secured card.  Its not the best credit card but a stepping stone I used to get my credit above 600 so I can get a Barclay, Citi Visa Signature, and eBayMC..

pcha2008's review was:

Mar 22, 2015

Great starter card for rebuilding credit

I applied for this card in September 2014 was approved with a $99 deposit for $200 limit my credit karma score was 588. It took three weeks to get the card and it didn't start reporting to the credit bureaus until my second statement and my score went from 588 to 619. I try to keep my utilization under 30% because the one month I did go over 30% my credit score dropped. I also notices that whatever my balance is on my statement it is the balance they report to the credit bureaus each month. Today I went to check my balance and noticed Capital One gave me a $300 unsecured increase. So in just 6 months my score went from 588 to 637 and I received an unsecured increase. I would recommend keeping your utilization under 30% and make payments on time and you will see tour credit score increase over time.

niyamell's review was:

View 1 Reply Write A Reply |

What's the 30% utilization

Mccheezie's reply was:

Great card when rebuilding credit

I don't usually leave reviews because i think most are bs, but figured my experience may be able to help someone else.  I am in my 30's and have struggled with credit my entire adult life.  I had numerous credit cards at 18-21 because credit card companies like to prey on kids.  I was dumb with the cards and get myself in a bind.  I didn't pay them and they were written off.  Flash forward to my mid 20's and I thought I had grown up so I got a few cards again.  I again, did the same thing.  The result was not having a credit card until I turned 34.

For a $99 deposit I received a $300CL.  My credit score was 510. I deposited an additonal $700 to make my credit line look bigger.  They gave me $1300 as a result. I kept the card for 12 months, charging a little bit each month and using it on vacation where I pretty much maxed it out.  Paid it back down afterwards.  Score came up to 530.  After 12 months I applied for a Quicksilver card and was approved for a $500 Starter Credit Card.  Used them regularly to build usage history and After 6 months of payments they bumped my card up to $2500CL.

Between the 2 of them and paying off all collections (the latter had the biggest bump) my score actually went up to 700.  I got a car loan for 20k+ now as a result, and have added the barclay credit card and discover card (they gave me a 10K limit).

It took 2 years of diligence, but it was possible and this card was the first step in that.  I enrolled in the monthly services for each credit berough (individually) and challenged the old items and paid off what I could.  I did this for a fee of about $15 per month.  No outside service was neccessary.  It takes time, but I dealt with my old demons from my past and used the process for growth.  You don't need the law firms they recommend on here.

Nicodemus94's review was:

Great card when rebuilding credit

Mar 16, 2015

GEAT !!!!

Please write some reviews!!! I m willing to aplied for it!

Mar 15, 2015

Rebuilding with a start score of 618

I will write a follow up review on how my credit improves, but I was surprised I got approved with Capital One (again) due to a break up. I had two cards with Capital One before, and when me and my ex broke up, I couldn't keep paying the balance... I had to survive, money wise. I didn't pay anything back until earlier this year.

i finally got a career going now which allows me to pay my bills and live comfortably. wi paid off my Capital One. Collection debt earlier this year.

1 month later (today), I knew I needed to improve my credit score, quicker. I currently have a motorcycle loan which is helping improving my score, but by as fast as I'd like.

With thy my current Equifax score of 618 according to credit karma, I decided to get the ball rolling and applied for this card. I was shocked to see I was approved for $1,000 off the bat! Even after a horrible past with Capital One, I  am glad they are giving me a chance again. I've learned from my mistakes.

boypinoy05's review was:

Mar 15, 2015

increased limit without asking !

I've had this card for 6 months. Started with a 547 credit karma score which is now Around 650 just after 6 months. I paid the initial $99 which gave me a $200 limit which I was fine with. I did have some pay for delete for some of my collections accounts to be fair but the card has still helped tremendously boost my score (just creating a history of on time payments has made my score increase). I made several payments a month and always had a zero balance. Then applied for quicksilver and was accepted immediately just after two months.

The best part is when I checked three days ago they increased my limit from $200 to $500 without me even asking. So even though it's a secured card, I've only had to put down $99 for the $500 limit I now have. (I didn't even think this was possible and didn't know they did this for secured)   Not to mention next month my quicksilver card limit will automatically increase as well due to making 6 on time monthly payments as well.

i couldn't be happier with Capital One right now. Really helped me get my credit back in check! Would recommend to anyone with struggling credit.

Hope this helps someone!

View 1 Reply Write A Reply |

Enter Your Reply

Nicodemus94's reply was:

Top Similar Cards

Search All Cards

Add Your Review Of Capital One® Secured MasterCard®

Rate this product

Rate your application experience (Optional)

What is your experience with this product?

I Have It

I Used To Have It

I Applied For It

Write your review:

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One offers numerous credit cards to fit consumers’ needs, including rewards cards, competitive rate cards, student cards, secured cards, and several co-branded cards. Capital One's Card Finder Tool also helps consumers determine which card is the right fit, with a quick online form to determine the best card offers according to each consumer's spending needs and finances, with results in about 60 seconds. Headquartered in Virginia, credit cards are issued by Capital One Bank and available in branch and online. Capital One serves banking customers in branches located primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Credit cards are available online to all customers nationwide.

Capital One, founded in 1988, is a Fortune 500 company and is a diversified financial services company, offering an array of credit, savings, and loan products for consumer, small business, and commercial clients.

† These Approval Odds represent Credit Karma's estimation of how likely you are to be approved for a product based on a comparison of your profile with data about Credit Karma members who have been approved for the product in the past (if available). There is no guarantee that you will be approved by the lender or that credit will be extended to you.

Capital One® Secured MasterCard®