Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 24.99%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 24.99%* Variable

Our Take

The Capital One® Secured MasterCard® is a good option for people with little or no credit history who are looking to build their credit.

What to Like

This Capital One® Secured MasterCard® has no set up or processing fees. Capital One® reports to all three major credit bureaus so you can take steps to build your credit history. While this card does require an initial security deposit, Capital One® may increase your credit limit without any additional deposits if you use your credit responsibly.

Look Out For

Secured credit cards are great for building credit, but they typically come with annual fees and a required security deposit--and without rewards. It’s important to use your credit responsibly in order to build toward a card with more attractive perks.

Feb 20, 2016
Aveah Cardholder

Ok, so here is a little history of me. I am now 30 and I have ignored my credit since I was 18, after I successfully destroyed it. Well at least up until about 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, I have done what I could to get out of debt. I paid my dues, and got my debt to less than $300 for everything. Feeling accomplished, I quickly became pretty upset seeing my Fico still at a very low 500... Of course, over that time, falling in love and planning for a future such as being a homeowner, I knew I had to do something to correct my childish mistakes and lavish shopping sprees with "invisible" money that was never mine. I've struggled getting my score up, but it was hard. No one would loan me a dime, even though I am way more financially stable than a freshman I was attending FSU... And finically successful, paycheck wise.

You see, I'm an office manager at a successful local company in my area. I manage everything in the office, including the owner and his personal finances. I get to see first hand what excellent credit can get ya. He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in high end credit cards. 3 houses completely paid off, 2 vehicles and more money I could ever dream of invested. I call him Mr. MoneyBags.

One day, after seeing his 848 Fico on the top of one of his card statements, I decided to go talk to that man. Besides having money, just how did he do it. He wasn't born into money, or married into it. He built a successful company, however he used to pump gas at a gas stations about 25 years ago. And his wife was a successful broker. So what did he do?

I waked into his office, grabbed a seat and asked him. I explained my future goals, that I want to marry the man I love, buy a home, have a child. You know, I am 30! Most of my friends have children and been married of not divorced already. Time is ticking and I am tossing and turning over my credit.

So we sat down and discussed my options. We browsed online and he suggested this card because of the low deposit, no annual fee and upon researching more, we found it reports as "unsecured" on my credit report. So I applied and was approved! First step down. But I haven't had it long enough to say if it's helping or not, but we will see. I guess the main thing is, no one else would give me a chance. These people did and I am grateful for that!

Also, if you're reading this, yay you made it this far! So I want to share some tips that was passed down to me with a man that has a near perfect credit score.

1. This card will give you a $200 limit. Rather your deposit is $50, $100 or $200. You may put more down, to increase your limit, however, you won't need it.

2. Use this card for one thing only. Something small, and something you need to get every month. A $200 limit will leave you with about $60 to spend without going over 30%. He recommended a full tank of gas each month.

3. About the 30%, some say it's 10% but he swears by 30%. Of course the lesser amount is ideal, but it's anything above 30% that creditors frown upon.

4. Always pay it off in full before the due date. Set up automatic payments if you tend to be forgetful.

5. Remember, it's really not your money (sure this is a secured card, and in a way it could be depending on the amount you deposit) but to achieve better cards with higher amounts, get that part out of your head. It's NOT your money! So never spend more than you have in a checking account or cash in hand.

6. Be consistent and stick with it. As for this secured card. It's not going to be glorified and full of perks. Not at all. This card is like "you're on probation so behave" type of card. Remember, this card is just the first step so you can get those amazing credit cards with high limits and amazing rewards. So stick with it! Make your payments each month, and use your card to keep it active.

7. Be patient. It will take some time before your credit worthiness is enough to start applying for the better cards with higher limits and rewards. So even after a year, don't get mad if they don't increase your limit. Just keep going and always keep an eye on your score.

Nov 22, 2016
Decent but not great
ITLady Cardholder

I've had this card for 10+ years.  I got it to rebuild my credit under a secured card, sent my deposit and got a $200 limit (which I understood because I had bad credit) a few months later, they raised my credit limit to $300.  I've never had a late payment or any issues with the card, but my credit limit has also never been raised again.  They switched the card from a secured to an unsecured a couple years ago but when I did ask for an increase (in the last year, I have a score of 740 now) their system still sees it as a secured card and requires another deposit, when I try the deposit it sees it as unsecured and won't let me do one.

I only keep this card open because it's my oldest revolving credit account.

Jan 23, 2017
Does not report, so no credit building
D6T Cardholder

I got this card to help build credit history help with credit-to-debt utilization. They never reported the card to any of the credit bureaus. The said after 5 months of good payment history you're automatically given a credit line increase. That never happened either and it's now month 6. I even called them showing them that cards obtained months after this card showed up on creditwise.capitalone.com and this card didn't. Yet customer service still kept insisting they are reporting the card and I should talk to Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion to dispute it.

There is no way to dispute information on your credit report that is not there. You cannot disppute to ADD information with the bureaus, only the REMOVE. I am calling CapitalOne to close the card after I write the review. I'll find it very funny and sad if it suddenly shows up as a closed account.

Jan 22, 2017
Very excellent for rebuilding credit!
Anonymous Cardholder

I applied for this card about 13 months ago. My credit score was an awful 504. I got a $200 limit with a $200 deposit. Fair, considering my credit. I had been using it off and paying it every single month for 6 months and they raised my limit to $500. It was completely unexpected and really awesome. Now after 7 more months of on time payments it has raised my credit score all the way to 630! It raised my credit enough to get a Capital One QuicksilverOne card with a $500 limit.

In short, this is a fantastic option to help build credit and negate mistakes of the past as long as you are careful. My suggestion is make sure to put at least the minimum payment on autopay so that you will never forget to make that payment on time.

Good luck!

Jan 23, 2017

You were able to get approved with the credit score of 504?

Jan 21, 2017
The very best card bar none!
jarheade7 Cardholder

I put up a $200.00 deposit, got the card pretty fast. After about 6 months, my credit was increased to 500.00. This was unexpected indeed. Easy communications with Capital One, they have a moble down load that you can set up alerts and keep your spending under control. They allowed my wife to be put on the account as well with her own card! Thank You capital one!

Jan 20, 2017
It Works if You Work it Right
mjones7 Cardholder

I've had this card for less than a year and just received notification that my card has been converted to a regular credit card. They applied my security deposit to my account as a credit. I don't have a problem with this at all. I'd also had a surprise that they nearly doubled my credit allowance on the account. I didn't receive a notification for this and just happened to notice when I was looking at my account.

I pay the bill early, each month and make multiple payments, when I've got extra funds about. I am returning to paying it off in full each month. I like that I get text and app notifications when my card is used because I've had to get a replacement card from attempted fraud in the past. Don't use any plastic at fast food restaurants, as this is what caused the fraud issues.

When I've had to speak to reps for the company, they have been knowledgeable and polite. It takes only the one call to get the answers I need and/or to resolve an issue.

I haven't decided if I'll apply for a rewards card with them, though I may. It would be nice to earn rewards while using the card. My credit continues to improve, as I'm taking care of busines (as I ought) and working toward having no real debt.

You can send a larger deposit than required so that you increase your available credit. I did this, and am glad that I did. I don't use the card often, yet it comes in handy when necessary.

Jan 20, 2017
Anonymous Cardholder

February will make a year that  I had my secured card. I was recently notified that I been upgraded to a unsecured card and my deposit will be returned and also I was approved for a Quicksilver One. Thanks Capital One!

Jan 19, 2017
Great for rebuilding credit!
amndda Cardholder

I got this card lat February of 2016. My credit score at the time was somewhere in the high 500s. I was approved for a $200 credit limit with a deposit of $99. I deposited $200 and got a credit limit of $301. For about three months I used this card for everyday purchases, paying it off biweekly when I got paid. By that time, my credit score had gone up to the mid-600s! Around this time, my credit limit was increased by $350, so I then had a limit of $651. I have continued using it not leaving a balance on the card once until now. Yesterday, my card was converted into an unsecured card and the deposit returned as a statement credit. Very happy with this card.

Good "Start Over" Option
pkdsurvivor04 Cardholder

I have quite a few things on my credit report, including a repossession. I wanted to start getting my score back up again, so I applied for this card, thanks to the Credit Karma suggestions. I paid $99 down, which is supposedly refundable when closing the card. I've been using it for the past almost 6 months. The way it works is whatever you pay, you get $100 more. You can deposit as little as $49 or as much as $2,899 (which gives you a $3,000 line of credit). You do have to pay it back though. I've been paying mine in full since I received it. I definitely recommended it and trust Capital One!

Increased my CL!
OBEIDAT Cardholder

After paying on time for 6 months they increased my CL from $200 to $500! Thank you capital one for being there when nobody else give us the chance! Another thing, It boosts my CS 69 points (from 560 to 629) only in 6 months!

Credit Card For Building Credit
gaustin81 Cardholder

Great card to start building your credit with!

Jan 17, 2017
Great card to begin establishing credit.
Anonymous Cardholder

I applied for this secured card after being denied from everywhere else that would not approve me for anything due to not having any credit history or accounts at 24 years old (yes, I was behind in the credit world). This card has got me very far in just 9 months after being approved in April 2016. I was given a required deposit of $100, with an initial line of $200. My credit score has rose 100 points from 552 to mid 600's now. I always pay off my balances and keep them low which is key to me in my opinion for building my credit up. In October after 6 months of on time payments, I was given a credit increase of $300 which made my limit $500. Now as of today, I took a chance and applied for the platinum card (unsecured) and was approved for $1000. Can't wait to continue to build my credit up and reach the 700's by another 6 months from now. Thank you Capital One!

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® Secured MasterCard®