Cardholders' Choice i

• Balance Transfer Regular APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR Not Applicable

Dec 15, 2019
amex takes care of business
elpinturo Cardholder

have the gold card asked if i wanted to upgrade to platinum... i did

Dec 16, 2019

Kind of missed out on the signup bonus tho.

Dec 04, 2019
Finally!
Flee123 Cardholder

I babysat my score & my odds for this card for 1 yr. on CK my score was 680 & I applied when my odds were 'good'. I was immediately approved. I have Marriott Bonvoy so that might be a challenge but according to reviews, Amex Platinum is amazing. I just got the card & the benefits are more than anticipated. I had an Amex agent enroll me in the travel rewards perks, so I should expect a card in a couple weeks before I travel. Outside of the annual fee, I'll just have to use this card wisely & pay it off monthly. There's an option to extend the payments, but I'm not too sure on the APR on that. So far all's good!

Dec 25, 2019

If you have an offer for this card, do you have to apply through CK? Or can you go directly to Amex?

Nov 20, 2019
Great rewards card with excellent perks
ficus2020 Cardholder

Really great card, I have had it for a few months and couldn't be happier. I haven't made any large purchases but beforehand I would check my purchasing power using the AMEX app.

Oct 12, 2019
A must have for the benefits
TIKRITVET Cardholder

This card is not great for "points per dollar spent." The benefits the card has make the card worth it. Seriously it pays for itself. The yearly fee evens out trust me. I was tickled when I called customer service prior to traveling. They said, due to our technology there's no need to call to tell us you're traveling. Ha! I felt like somebody LOL!

Jan 07, 2020

What are benefits you get that evens out the yearly fee?

Sep 30, 2019
Its the worst card And company
Nicktheflash Cardholder

Its the worst card ever and worst company/bank last weekend whilr i was out and trying to purchase something at the store i realized they reduced my limit FROM 20,000 to 1000 !!!! Unbelievable!! Just because my credit score dropped few points and that’s because of the equifax fraud which i had nothing to do with it and theres a le suit for them! Idk if they can do that i never missed any paiment and never had any issue as of paying my card so just dont get this card or any American express cards theyre really umreliable

Sep 30, 2019

Are you sure you actually have the American Express Platinum (charge) card (and not, perhaps, the Delta Platinum (credit) card? I ask because there's no stated "limit" with the Platinum card. I also don't quite understand how the "Equifax fraud", which was a couple years ago now, would have affected your credit score NOW.

Oct 10, 2019

Actually yes the charge cards do have a limit. After so much spending your card can be turned off. I called amex to ask what my spending power was for this card and they said 10k. I heard its based on your other total spending limit on all cards but I don't know how true this is, but its true for me.

Oct 28, 2019

Funny, you left the EXACT same review, word for word, on the amex every day cash card?

Oct 31, 2019

All these so-called credit card companies do that if it drops a little or you miss payments with other people they decrease your credit balance a lot it's sad because you sound like you're a good customer take care.

Nov 06, 2019

Another spam, junk story... CK is ripe with these. Whatever. Until CK figures a way to weed out such stupidity, I am off of these reviews and comments.

Jan 01, 2020

People.. that reviewer is clearly a troll. Can't spell to save their life, & grammar atrocious. (That alone should be enough to ignore them). Plus another astute commenter noted he's posted identical review on a different card. Idiots & trolls abound these days, sigh.

Aug 24, 2019
Nitro1211 Cardholder

Just got this card and I’m very disappointed..been using this card for almost a month now and last night I decided to book my family a nice day at six flags and my card was denied so I did what anyone would do and phoned up American Express and was told that they blocked my card until I’ve made a payment..HUH??...WHAT?...so I asked about the payment and was in total shock when I heard my billing statement will not be ready until September 10 and the payment would be due in October so we continue to talk and I was told from Amex that they needed payment history from me in order to unlock my card..I replied how can there be payment history when my first payment is not due yet??...you haven’t even created an invoice or statement yet and I only have $2,800 charge thus far trying to reach my $5,000 requirement to receive 60,000 points..so then I was told to pay 50% of the balance and they would unlock my card..HUH??...WHAT??...50%?..I ask where are you getting the arbitratray 50% number if no payment is due so basically American Express platinum shut down my card in August for a billing statement that won’t be ready until September 10 and payment won’t be due until October..not keeping this card..going to chase sapphire reserve.

Aug 24, 2019

O yeah my credit score is 810 on all three credit reports.

Aug 25, 2019

Maybe the consumer is supposed to have $6k in charges, not hold a balance of $6k.

Sep 30, 2019

I have heard of this before with other credit cards. Banks get scared when the bill keeps going up and its not being payed off every week. They feel like the card is being charged up and then the person takes their whole check to pay it off. I'm not saying you would have not payed, I'm just saying they get scared when they see this sometimes. Even though it's a charge card, we still have a limit based on our total credit card limit among all cards.

Sep 30, 2019

Is this your first account with American Express? If you have no previous relationship with them, this scenario (annoying as it was for you) sort of makes sense from their viewpoint.

Oct 01, 2019

Since this is a charge card, there isn’t a preset limit. And since your acct is still. Ew, your preset link will be low, and since you were using it a lot, you’ve reach the limit that they had set for you based on various factors one being the acct is new. Therefor if you want to open up that limit you’d need to make a payment to bring down your balance. They probably recommended 50% so that you’d have enough to charge whatever amount you had gotten denied. After several months of normal use it should be ok. Trust me Amex is com-pli-cated. Also, this is a charge card, understand it first before you get upset.

Oct 07, 2019

Trying to rack up 6k right away instead of spreading that over 3 months is not wise at all and will lead to your current predicament...you have no history with Amex and people can be dangerous with charge cards because of the lack of a stated limit so there u go.. I have the gold card and never had a problem and I hit my spend over 3 month period no issues

Nov 18, 2019

How is there a shock of having to pay 50% of your balance when 100% of your balance MUST be paid at the end of the billing cycle? If this is a problem then Amex isnt for you. In reality credit cards arent for you as you shouldnt hold a balance at all but charge cards are to be paid in full every month. They saw accelerated spending on a new card and understandably wanted to see a payment first before they were on the hook for 6k+.

Nov 21, 2019

ahaha what a salty person. i have this card and charged 8k within the first week and i paid it off completely every week, never had a problem with amex and will continue to use them.

Jul 29, 2019
Great Value
JtheCPA Cardholder

I have a branded Amex platinum with Charles Schwab, and I try to use it  as often as possible. I have the cash magnet, as well as the gold card, which creates the perfect tri-fecta as far as credit cards go. I would recommend this card to any one. The value is tremendous and far outweighs the annual fee!

Jul 28, 2019
Best Reward Card
MrSpin83 Cardholder

I am so excited to have this card for many reasons. I had horrible credit about 8 months ago due to a divorce. I worked extremely hard to build my credit up, pay off some negative items and dispute things that were not mine. I keep an eye on this card and the approval chances credit karma gave. When it hit “very good approval” odds I applied and was approved. My trans union score at time was 720 equifax was 721. Do keep in mind that AMEX uses Experian credit FICO score for which my score with them was 660 at the time and was approved. If you travel this is a great card. I received it right before a trip to Chicago and at the airport was able to experience the lounges through priority pass. Also used my Uber credit (you get $15 per month and $20 in December). There are many benefits to this card which makes the $550 fee per year worth it. Not to mention the card it metal and feels and looks really cool :) I feel like I made it with this card. This is a charge card so you are really good to spend daily purchases with it but on the app you can check your spending power and I was able to get approved without contacting AMEX up to $23,000 purchase which I will never do. I highly recommend this card and I’m VERY HAPPY to be an AMEX card holder and member.

Sep 27, 2019

This is a made up review. Telling you exactly what you need to apply

Sep 30, 2019

It should be mentioned that the Uber credit in December is actually $35, they give $20 extra in that month. Also there are some accounts of cardholders being the subject of an American Express financial review immediately after they "experimented" with the "check spending power" feature, so I'd say caution is advised unless you actually need to check for a planned large purchase.

Nov 17, 2019

@Bus5701 not a made up review this is actually my review.

@Credityoudeserve yes you are correct about Uber and I was telling people about the spending power because it helps with embarrassment you do want to put a large purchase on your card and it be declined.

Nov 30, 2019

Do you have to pay the entire balance of your card each month? I do not have a Amex. Card at the moment, just trying to get all details before i do. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2020

@steelersstewart I payoff the entire balance each month because I’m coming out of credit repair and I also don’t overspend. Unless I have the money in the bank to cover my expenses I don’t charge. I know they also have payment options for large purchases. I’d look into that before maki a large purchase.

Jul 15, 2019
Great for travel purposes

My take on this card is that it's not meant to be a "daily driver" unless you don't care at all about how fast you're accumulating MR points. 5X on airfare, the Hilton Gold status and the airport lounge access are for me the main reasons to have this card. I happen to fly Delta a lot, and their Sky Clubs in the major airports make waiting for flights a lot nicer. Just in one nine-night stay at a Hilton property recently, the free upgrade to a top-floor suite and the daily free breakfast justified a large part of the Platinum card's annual fee. The only annoying "gotcha" is that if you book hotel stays for Hilton and Marriott through the AMEX travel site (have to book that way to earn the 5X MR points on the purchase), the "gold" status at those properties given by the card will NOT be recognized. I am not a frequent Uber user, but the monthly credit does work for Uber Eats so I basically call that "one free delivered lunch per month".

Having this card would make no sense for someone who rarely-to-never travels by air, but frequent travelers will easily get value way beyond the annual fee.

Jul 07, 2019
Just got approved for this card!
WizzardJoe Cardholder

Have not received it yet, but excited as credit karma said my odds were "poor". Starting to think credit karma is overrated!

Jul 11, 2019

What are your ck scores?

Jul 23, 2019

Apparently Amex approves their charge cards to almost everyone. Go try to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Aug 25, 2019

What is your score?

Sep 10, 2019

How are the odds poor but you were approved?...

Oct 14, 2019

My odds for the gold card were poor as well. CK doesn’t check your EX and American Express pulls your EX Fico score.

Platinum Card® from American Express