4.4

Mar 14, 2017
The Fruits of Hard Work!!

I started rebuilding my credit in 2015 and with the sage advice here on Credit Karma and a LOT of research I earned the privilege of being approved for the Platinum card. ?I didn't expect it to be the "savior" of credit cards but there is a certain sense of accomplishment felt by being able to go into a Centurion lounge at the airport! ?Call it ego call it pride but when you've come from having a 600 credit score to an Amex Platinum in under 2 years it feels great!

Aug 03, 2017
Worst card in my wallet.

I applied with 740+ FICO -- don't remember exactly but I know that it was 740+ because I am really proud of having been once at 484 and now being over 70. ?I don't pay attention to Vantage anymore because noone else does so I have no idea what my CK score was that day. ?The $550 fee is absurd but I paid it because I wanted a card where I could earn points toward travel and I liked the no pre-set spending limit and the pay in full at month end requirement. ?Additionally I have read so many good reviews about the card and I saw that I could earn 60000 points in the first 3 months which equals $600 so paying $550 seemed like a good idea. ?I earned my points, but along the way there have been too many issues. Yes, it looks great and people are really impressed when you take it out of your wallet... WHO CARES!! ?I have now had 3 hotel bills declined at the desk with this gorgeous card. ?And just this morning while trying to use it online I was declined an $850 purchase. ?In each event the reason I was given when I called customer service was that I had reached the credit limit on my card. ?Wait -- the card advertises "no pre-set spending limit" so how can that be? My conversation with the customer service went something like this: Apparently, there IS a spending limit, it's just not preset... HUH?? Well, Miss, you have to establish the spending limit by spending... But I'm trying to spend right now and you won't let me. ?Well a few months down the line we will adjust the spending limit if you spend on the card... HUH?? I'm still confused! ?And this has happened in 2 other circumstances. ?I actually have become afraid to use the card in person because I don't want to be embarassed in having charges declined on a card that weighs 500 pounds! In case you, like me, are still confused here is the catch with this card: ?It costs $550 per year and comes with lots of perks and "no pre-set spending limit". ?However, the card uses "algorithms" to understand how much money you spend and evaluate your credit worthiness along the way (initial credit score is clearly unimportant which is why people under 700 can also get approved for this card). ?Now I have paid my balance in full on time every month. ?Yet, the card comes with many features that are cute and status-worthy but as a functional charge card, so far for me it's not very functional. ? $850 is NOT a lot of money and my totaly AVAILABLE credit through other cards exceeds $50K. ?Why would I ever want to use a card that I paid $550 to use that won't let me spend $850?? ?It makes NO SENSE. ?

Apr 24, 2022
Mazamakasexpress

Dontwasteurtimedudeandmoney

Apr 21, 2022
$700 dollar starter fee??? Not for me!

No way I’m gonna pay that fee to “use” their product then turn around and pay them interest. Nope nope nope.

Apr 20, 2022
Never leave home without it

Never leave home without it. Outstanding service

Apr 03, 2022
770 with no bad - Denied!

Applied after seeing the recommendation here. With 770 score, high income and no baddies thought surely it would be approved. Denied!

Apr 02, 2022
Do Not Trust Credit Karma

Credit Karma indicates that I have a fair chance of getting the American Express Platinum Card. When I went on the AMEX Website and went through there PRE-APPROVAL Process AMEX indicated that they could not issue me a AMEX Card at this time. Good thing I have learned from my past mistakes, I was fortunate to have went to the AMEX Website and went through the pre approval process, and spared my self from a Hard Credit Inquiry. Many Credit Card Issuer's have a Pre approval process like AMEX, DISCOVER, CAPITAL ONE and many others.

Mar 31, 2022
Excited is an understatement

My credit has been in rebuild mode for the past 5 years due to life circumstances. Doubling down and truly becoming knowledgeable how credit works is so important. So I started off with a Secured card and have had that for the past 5 years or so, all bills were being paid on time and I took the risk to be pre approved for this card. I did the pre approval through AMEX as Credit Karmas pre approvals are kind of a joke and are not accurate. I was pre approved and I did end up receiving the platinum. Being on Active Duty, AMEX within the first day waived the 695 dollar Annual Fee. I didn’t have to do anything at all which was amazing. I started receiving credits as well for every day purchases. Even better. Truly this card and customer service is outstanding! Highly recommend. If you are in your credit re build stage, trust the process it takes time! I’m truly excited about this card and all of the perks, makes me want to work even harder for the next goal!

Mar 10, 2022
Do right & the right will follow

I believe whomever should apply for this card does have financial literacy. Having a excellent score of 784 is great odds but understanding your goal as to why you WANT Amex Platinum will be the best beneficial invest towards anyones credit goals. Make sure all your shyt is correct before applying. So there no hard feelings if you dont make the cut. Because you really WANT this card. #Period

Feb 13, 2022
Lack of care for new customers

I just received the platinum card less than 3 weeks ago. I log in into my account and i come to find out that i got hit with the $695 annual fee, not even yet reaching my first month with the card. Credit karma did not emphasize or provided any information that this would happen. I even called their agents directly so they could provide me all information in regards to this card before even applying for it . In that call with their agent he never once mentioned that the annual fee will get charged as soon as i receive the card. Once i provided all this information to their customer service team, their answer was “sorry sir there is nothing we can do” they said i should have read the terms and agreements and they did not provide any solution, just basically saying tough luck, and continue with my day. Im extremely disappointed since i have not even reached a full month with the card and now i gotta find a way to cover a annual fee of that high amount. Really bad first impression for a new customer, i truly expected a more helpful solution, like what chase or other banks have provided for me.

Feb 10, 2022
WAS OK

This card was OK but the $695 fee hike was too much for me to stomach. Get the Sapphire Reserve card. WAY better value for the (less) money.

Jan 25, 2022
Absolutely hands down best card out there!

I applied for this card some months ago, got approved instantly with no preset spending limit and with the spending I do with work and everyday life it just fits my need plus the points just keep adding. In fact I used it a lot for our business and decided it was time to venture out for a business card from no other then, Amex and they assisted me on that as well and currently have two cards with them, both with no preset limits which we’ve yet to hit a limit as we spend and pay, spend and pay and so far my wife and I couldn’t be happier. Five star must have in the wallet card! And the customer service is outstanding!