Question

CreditKarma92

Would applying for two credit cards do a lot of damage to my score?
2 years ago I got a credit card. My co-signer for one of my school loans fell through so I ended up having to put tuition on my credit card. I was making above minimum payments for over a year and then my hours at work got cut to almost nothing so I couldn't make the payments. After 4 months of no payment, they closed the card. I have been back on track with the payments but I don't have any open lines of credit any more. I have 1 hard inquiry on my credit that is scheduled to fall off April 2016. Credit Karma is recommending two cards, one I have a good chance of approval, the other I have a very good chance. The one that is very good has an annual fee so I would like to try the "good" chance first and if declined try to "very good". Would this be too many inquiries in too short of time?

Inquiries only count for 10% of your score and having a credit card would help your score much more in the long run, so I think you definitely need to get a card.  Apply for the one you want first and if you get denied, then try another one or perhaps a secured credit card.  Best of luck!