Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Cards
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
Will paying off a closed account when the debt has been sold help?
I have two credit cards with debt less than $500 both accounts have been closed and charged off (deragatory) and sold to debt collectors will paying these new debt collectors affect the original creditors remarks or my credit for that matter? Is the new debt collector even going to report to my credit? Thank you for the help

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Results 1-3 of 3Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
1942 Contributions
2030 People Helped

Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

When a account/debt sold to collection agency, then original creditor no longer hold the debt nor have authority to collect on it. Paying collection agency won't change the status with original creditor, it still will/can be reported as charge-off, however it's balance should shown zero. Collection agency certainly can report it, It will be up to them to decide to report or not.

Top Contributor
270 Contributions
182 People Helped

The original account with the charge-off remarks will remain there. That company is done with your account already, and whatever happens between you and the collections people isn't going to change the status or comments.
I would pay the collections since it's so small. It won't really help your credit score, but it makes your REPORT look better. If you think you may be moving at some point before they age and fall off, you'll be glad you did. You won't be able to get a mortgage and probably will not find any property manager willing to work with you if you have open collections on your report. Prospective employers are looking at that sort of thing more and more also.

Top Contributor
2367 Contributions
4011 People Helped

a note on charge offs

The info the others have posted is correct, But I wanted to warn you about charge offs and your taxes.   Charge offs of $500 or more will generate a IRS form 1099misc showing the charge off as unearned income.  Its money that you have to pay taxes on. In general the form will be filed with the IRS at the end of the year so they can take the credit for the loss.  The following year you can expect a letter from the IRS wanting you to pay the taxes on the amount that was written off usually at a rate of 38% depending on the amount. Then, the following year, The IRS will report the income to your state, so you can expect to have to pay the state income tax (if your state has state tax) once that is reported.  

Charge offs are a monster with a very long tail.

Good luck

Results 1-3 of 3Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.