Why is Capital One allowed to lower scores with hard inquires? - didn't apply for any cards or loans
I have a bank card and was building slowly but surely. Now my latest update my scores has been knock down -12 and -19 points. I have NOT applied for any cards or loans and these supposedly won't come off until 2017. I'm not a conspiracy nut but I wonder: do these companies do this for fun, looking for people just squeaking by to screw with? What's the point of even trying to build my credit up if it is so easily knocked back down?

Most Helpful Response

Authorzation is required to pull credit

No one has the right to pull your credit without your authorization.  Meaning you either have given them your information and authorization to pull your credit, or you have a good reason to dispute the credit inquiry.  I would suggest contacting Capital One (in writing and send certified mail) and asking for a copy of the authorization and reason they pulled your credit with a 30 day time limit to respond listed in the letter.  ALL creditors asking for a credit pull will have to provide a reason to the credit bureaus for the credit pull and they must retain a copy of your authorization on file.

Should the credit pull prove to be legit, you will have to live with it for the next 2 years, as you have already discovered.  However if you didn’t authorize the credit pull, you can then use the letter that you sent certified mail to prove to the credit bureaus you didn’t authorize the credit pull and request the removal of the inquiry.  If that is the case I would also suggest speaking with an attorney because the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) allows for court cost and $1000 paid directly to you for each violation of the FCRA, of which an un-authorized credit inquiry is definitely a violation of the FCRA.

Please Thumbs up if this helps. J

Kinda seems like it.  For instance, Capital One loves to report your full balance, including uncleared balance.  What does this mean?  You can be 45% utilized if you're using say 4500 of a 10k credit card, even though 4450 is uncleared balance (in other words, you can't pay it, and it could even be incorrect billing but hey screw us right)?