Question

jjreezy

Why aren't my authorized user accounts appearing on my credit reports?
So I'm working on improving my credit scores in order to get a mortgage with my wife. We are both young, but she has been a lot more responsible than me and has a much better credit score and several credit cards. After researching around a bit, I learned about how being added as an authorized user to a responsible, well-maintained line of credit can boost your score, so my wife got me added as such to three of her cards. We did this almost 60 days ago and there has been no reporting to any of the credit bureaus.

None of the credit card lenders asked for my social or address or anything--they only asked for my name and then sent us a card with my name on it. Speaking to a finance friend we were suggested to add me as a joint account holder to her cards instead of an authorized user, but I am under the impression that this would trigger an inquiry, which I do not want to add more of onto my reports.

Has something changed in recent years so that being an authorized user doesn't actually report to the bureaus, or do we just need to follow up with the banks and tell them to report the accounts under my name too? Will this only work by being added as a joint holder, rather than an authorized user?

I hope this doesn't come off too rudely, but how did you expect that being added as an authorized user would boost your score if they didn't ask for your SSN? That's what they need in order to report to the bureaus. If you weren't asked for an SSN, then they only issued an additional card with your name on it. That alone will have no influence on your score. Either you did not phrase your request properly or those institutions do not report authorized users (not all do, nor are they obligated to.) If that is the case then yes you would need to open a joint account together or perhaps have her cosign an application for you. Either way, an inquiry would end up being necessary unless she has an account with an institution that will report authorized users to the bureaus.