Question

LauRock80

Which loan to pay off?
Loan 1 (12 years old)- $4800 - defaulted
Loan 2 (11 years old) - $8800 - defaulted / charged off - Can settle for $5000

I have the $5000, and trying to figure out which loan I should pay off to improve my score now. How much should my credit score improve when a charge off is removed?? I can settle, but I am worried that they won't delete the charge off and will instead say 'settled for less' or worse stay on there for another 7 years. Tempted to pay off the one that is just defaulted since I know it will come off and reduce my overall debt ratio. Trying to determine, which one is best to pay to improve my score now.

Student loans don't leave.

Been there!!

Student loans have NO statute of limitations and do NOT fall off the credit report.  If you can settle loan #2 for %5000, go for it!!!  Then get busy paying off loan #1.  Only after these loans are cleared out will you have a chance for an improved credit score.