Question

wampthing2

Which card should I apply for first?
Hi. I appreciate any help I can get here. I'm looking at getting my first credit card as a 31-year-old with TU and EQ of 739 (Vantage) and EX of 770 (Fico 8). The only accounts on my reports are student loans (4 with balances, 6 paid off), all in good standing, averaging 10 years old, oldest is 13, never late, no hard pulls, no bad marks ever. I've narrowed my search down to AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, Chase Freedom, and Chase Freedom Unlimited. Truth is, I'd like to have all three, but I don't think it's a good idea to apply for all of them at once. Can someone give me an idea of which card I would be most likely to get, and therefore which card I should apply for first? After 6-12 months I'll apply for another one if my score comes back. Without any revolving credit I'm afraid that my good scores won't be enough for the AMEX, and I've read conflicting reports that the Chase cards are kind of hard to get, too. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I just want to make the most educated decision I can. Thanks!

Go to the lenders' website where they have a pre-approval or pre-qualification area. I think you might have the best luck with Chase.

You can also check on pre-qualification through NerdWallet. Keep in mind, having a checking account, savings account or a relationship with the bank can often help.