Question

NewMom89

What is the best/easiest way to build credit?
I've been denied loans and cards for my low score. Nothing bad on my report, just don't have much credit history. I feel like I can't win for losing

Most Helpful Response

I understand, I've been there!! Have you tried applying for a Capital One card? They're pretty liberal with their approvals. I think I started out with a Capital One card. It was a secured MasterCard, which means you have to put down a deposit on the card before you can start using it, but if no one else will give you credit that might be a good place to start. Use the card for gas and groceries, things you'd buy anyway. Try to pay off the balance every month and keep your utilization low (I think the recommended utilization is 10%). Over time, that should help - Capital One is really good about reporting to the credit bureaus, and that will raise your score to where you can apply for other cards and other types of credit.

Hope that helps!

Secured cards are the way to start. As already mentioned, Capital One is a good company to start with. Check the preapproval on their website. If nothing pops up, maybe try anyway for their Secured card.