Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

leonrodgers

What is a good auto insurance score?

Most Helpful Response

Auto Insurance Score Ratings

Credit Karma's free credit based Auto insurance score comes directly from TransUnion (TU). I purchased my score direct from TU and it matches what CK lists. Listed below is an approximate rating breakdown by category [score range 150 to 950].

TU Auto insurance score .... Category Rating

895 and above .........................Very Good

860 to 894 ............................... Good

825 to 859 ................................ Fair

760 to 824 ................................ Poor

759 and below .......................... Very Poor

My Auto insurance score is 902 (from CK and direct from TU). For comparison my TU Fico 8 Auto enhanced score was 897 [range 250 to 900] and TU VantageScore 3.0 is 833 [range 300 to 850]

Note: credit based Auto insurance scores do not consider driving record or prior claim history. Insurance companies look at those factors and your zip code location to develop a composite risk score for determining insurability and premiums.

mercedes93

BS

Its a complete joke and totally useless

My auto ins score, no accidents, no claims, no missed payments , no contact with the ins co besides sending my payment on time in full for the year, went down 47 points.

this credit karma is a joke.

my credit score is 774, but because i only have a 12 year history and a total of 2 credit cards with a balance of less than $1000 paid in full every week,they wont raise my score because i do not have a higher balance or more credit cards.

I think if i have a low balance, no missed payments, pay the cards off every month i should have perfect credit.

so lesson here is get in debt and get higher score.  Dumb, dumb, dumb !

orca54

Your insurance is based on your whole credit report. If you have a low credit score, your auto insurance will be high. The only way to get a good ins premium is to raise your credit score, then your score will go up on your auto insurance score.

honestgal1

oh i agree 100%

zephyr823

Agreed! Its so frustrating but we have no choice but to play the game. My credit score is average and I still cant get good rates. My husband has a very poor credit rating. 500! He was given a car loan at 3.8% WHAT IS THAT?!

crazyhorse1973

Your post is another piece of clear evidence that if you are chasing the american dream using credit you are goingto get burned. The only way to get credit is to stay in debt paying outrageous interest rates and yearly fees for the "privlege" of having some pinhead in a suit that cannot think for himself look at a piece of paper to tell whether you are a deadbeat or not. Not for me... I don't need credit and I don't want to play their game.

jasondpruitt3

Your Credit score depends on your credit worthiness. That includes if companies lend to you will they make money. If you pay to quick or do not have enough credit available that negatively impacts your credit, because companies realize they will make a minimum amount from you. Therefore, your credit is impacted negatively. If you use a fair amount of credit and pay on time keeping your debt below 30%, your credit worthiness goes way up. 774 is not bad at all, but if you want it in the 800s get one or two more Credit Cards to use once or twice a year then pay off and let them sit till the next year. your credit will sky rocket.

Veeman210

Same here, no missed or late payments, credit cards paid off in full, no insurance claims...score in high 600...should be near perfect score.  I agree, a joke!

traviesso

On top of that, they have never been accurate.... It really is a joke.!!!!

ernestf01

nah open more lines of credit and float the balance. every 2 years a hard hit falls off. so when 1 falls off pick up a store card or something you would generally pay cash for let its balance register then pay it off. Your age of 12 years will split per new line of credit. But after carrying a bad card for about a year drop it into your closed line bye consumer which stays for seven years. Its not you need to be in dept its that you only got two cards. high scores is like juggling 20 things at once

450bushmaster

Credit karma has nothing to do with "your"credit score. So. How are they a "joke" ?

LastOfUs

actually, I have 13 lines of credit, total of 16k in credit and they say the same thing. So don't buy into it. I just paid off all my credit cards with a loan and its estimating my score to be 756. I have 7 years of credit and no missed payments. In maybe 1 more year my 3 inquiries will drop and my score will go up. I have driven for the last 6 years and never had an accident and have always had insurance and now insure 3 vehicles and my score for insurance is a joke. So I'm in the same boat. This site is telling you to get more cards because that how they make money. They get a kick a for approved cards and loans. I just got a 6k loan and 240 was taken out as a "fee". I later heard a radio offer a loan on the same site and you would get a $50 visa card. Its all a game for them to make money.

skippy65

I learned from Capital 1 that bought up Orchard Bank credit cards that when they reveiw your account, all their info is based on your score and history at the time of issueing the card, not your current status or history since the time you got the card. Long story short...get current cards with no annual fees and it will be based on your current status, and cancell the cards with small credit limits, ie, $1000 or less. You will take a temp hit on your score, but in the end you will come out on top. I did this, got a Discover Card, took a hit on my credit score for a couple months, and got a card with $3000 limit. I managed it the way you do, and in 18 months it it up to $5500, and my score goes up regularly.I had a score of 756 when I got the card, and on my last statement it was 802.

SunshineAndRain

Painful, isn't it?

I have 30-40 year credit history and utilize 1.5% available credit. No missed or late payments. Pay all cards in full every month. No mortgage. No car loan. No nothing! As you said go into debt and get higher score. Dumb, dumb and dumber!

Craziest thing I ever heard...EXCEPT right after my husband died unexpectedly my score dropped 62 points and I was well into the 800's. I continue to do everything financially as I did before.  Ima thinking sexual discrimination.  I doubt a MAN would suffer the same effect if his WIFE had died.  Makes you think, doesn't it?

jan731

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit, first my payment history was bad, not it is excellent but they won't raise my score, now they say not long enough credit history,10 uears which it is much longer but I guess some disappeared, I paid down a balance Oma revolving account lowered my score 2 points my FICO and the rest I don't trust ,I think they love to jerk around people trying to get in good standing credit wise, a big game that I am sick of

jan731

nationwide gave me an excellent rate although Credit Karma says my insurance score is poor, don't think this insurance score means anything

deadpen

Well you don't have to get deeper in debt, you have to manage what you have. There are different reasons for your credit but for your extended credit you need to keep 2% to 20% on your cards. 0 is bad for some reason but 2 is  idea, don't know why but I played the game after coming here and brought my scores up 100 + points. New cards hurt your score, keeping cards open for years helps your score, having 21 or more loans (hopefully closed) in your history helps. If you get an increase on your credit limit for your cards then your score will go up. 

Now don't go running out getting as many cards as you can cause opening up cards destroy your credit and you won't see good effects for 7 years or more. Credit is a game and you just have to play along. 

As for auto ins score..............I don't know. I have nothing on mine and 100% on time payments but have a poor rating (highly likely to make a claim). Don't know if this is because I swiched but it still wasn't that great when I had my other ins. Plus "exsperts" say you pay too much if you have the same ins. co. for more than 5 years, so you should jump from one co to another?!? The auto ins score is a joke, along with the house ins score.

bbranch22

1 is the best insurance while 50 is the worst and it is totally dependent on your credit and insurance history (how long you've maintained w/o lapse)

pzero24

Credit Karma scores are normally lower than the scores I really get from the credit agencies, so I'm not complaining. They are not only looking for how many credit cards you have. They also take into account the diversity of your accounts. Only people with a few credit cards, an auto loan, a mortgage, and a personal loan will get a perfect score. A score of 774 should make you more than happy anyway. I was told I could qualify for any loan that I could prove I could afford with my income after just a score of 750.

Thomas2Thumb

The CK credit based Auto insurance score comes directly from TU. I paid and got mine from TU to check against CKs free score - exact match. Credit based Auto insurance scores do not consider driving history or past claims - it is only credit based. Insurance companies use the other factors along with your credit based score to come up with a composite risk that is used for determining insurability & premiums.

Below is a general summary table on TU's credit based Insurance risk scores. Range is 250 to 950. A close approximation of rating category by score range is:

TU Auto Insurance Score ... Rating

895 & above .......................... Very Good

860 to 894 .............................. Good

825 to 859 .............................. Fair

760 to 824 .............................. Poor

759 & Below .......................... Very Poor

My Auto insurance score (both from CK and direct thru TU) is 902. For comparison, my TU Fico 8 enhanced Auto score is 897 [scale 250 to 900] and TU VS 3.0 score is 833 [scale 300 to 850].

Note: Auto insurance risk based scores view bank cards favorably in scoring but factor store/retail cards negatively. Another factor in insurance scoring is average CL. The TU model has 3 tiers for CL [higher the tier, more positive the effect on score]. They are: a) Less than $3000, b) $3000 to $8999 and c) $9000 and above.

Recent credit applications 9both age and quantity) can severly hurt Auto insurance score.

riddler929

I worked at a credit and collections agency and the reason why people in your same situation never have "perfect" score, it's because  creditors wanna know that they are spending money and will make money. If you buy buy buy and spend it every month, the creditor will monitor you to ensure that they either A. Will make some money or B. Watch you have to spend much much more money. Up until January of 2015, I never let my cards have more than a $200 limit. Once the limits went up, so did my score. But I also tried to make sure that me becoming a risk never happened. 

justhelping

Yow can not have credit if you are not in debt.

damnit1

Enter Your Reply

agree

Lavdi

Ding ding ding ding!  Bingo!  

Thank you for the blatant honesty.

good or bad

as for  the question asked which no one has attempted to answer is what is a good insur. score. insur. scale goes up to 1000 I think so 850 is average.

photcred

I am not sure it means squat.  They do what they want!!  I called my agent went my score went from Good to Excellent and asked to be re-rated.  She said it would not affect me at all.  It is still about vehicle, location, and driving record.

Thomas2Thumb

The CK Auto insurance score is from TU and scale is 150 to 950. LexisNexis also provides insurance companies with credit based Auto insurance scores. Their range is 300 to 997.

As mentioned in another reply, a Good = 860 to 899 & Very Good = 900 & above.

Auto Insurance Score

I have a credit score in the "excellent" rating, and work hard keeping it that way. I have driven for over 40 years, and knock on wood, not had an at fault accident on my insurance. I've been hit a couple times years ago ( back in the 70's, 80's and 90's), but that's all. My car insurance score is very low, and I have no idea why, or even how to raise it, or where to complain about it. I asked my agent about it, and she didn't know anything about this score. That made me feel a litle better, but.... WHY and HOW is this number ascertained?

thaddeus1

Seniors pay more because they are considered to be in more accidents . I am 68 with a perfect driving record and have a 768 credit score, but my auto score is only good not excellent which doesn't get me the best insurance rates.  ????

bullwinckle007

Talk to your insurance agent. Yes, you will have to let them catch up. It is probably not something they deal with daily. Over some years I began to scrath my head as to why I was paying such a high insurance rate. Over the years I kept looking at My CreditKarma Insurance score and it was "good". Everything on the report was great: no late payments, no bad comments, etc. My isurance is deducted from my checking account monthly and has been for eleven years, with no misses. So, I finally called my insurance company and we discussed these scores and how did I rate a "tier score" of 63 out of a possible 84. Sixty-three was considered good. The numerical score was on my insurance policy. Also was an explanation of the score. It did take the agent a few minutes to grasp what I was talking about. The agent found that my insurance score had never been updated since I began with them; eleven years ago. oops!!! This information and a review of my driving record cut my insurance in half. I went from $1600 a year for two cars, to $800 a year for two cars. Plus I enlisted in their 90 day driving survey. In other words a device records my driving patterns. I did this with both cars. I can save up to 30% if I am successful using this device. Insurance is not supposed to increase if I fail. I am passing. My line has been; check your score on your policy, see if there is any reason it does not appear correct. The score is a collection of information, including your credit score. You know your credit and driving history and whether these numbers are off. Things change and sometimes the changes don't get updated, especially if over the years you have gone from poor to excellent, as was the situation I was in. I also wonder when competing insurance companies vie to be your insurance company and they save you X number of dollars, all they are doing is reevaluating your insurance score. Most people seeking to save money on insurance for the most part are probably good drivers with good credit and longevity with their prior insurance company. The new company gives you the rate you deserved all along. My motto: "I saved $800 in eight minutes with my same old insurance company".

RESANDLIN

EntI have a credit score in the 800. my insurance premium for liability,uninsured motorist and medical payments. my premium for a year is about $210. Don"t think i can get one any cheaper. I am 65 years young. Don"t have a clue what my auto ins. score is or how to find it. anyone help?????

Amazing....

I finally found a good car insuurance with the best coverage i could ask in the last 20 yrs, the best part is the price... and this jokers of CreditKarma are telling me that my car insurance credit score is poor...

LOL...  Good one CreditKarma ....

songbird88

What company did you get?

godissmoking

yes, what company did u get?

schnack

Hey, which company are you with now?

I would be curious to know.

Thx

andyinjackson

I also found an insurance company with the best coverage i could ask in the last 20 years the price was great. On my part everything stayed the same. No accidents, tickets, you get my drift. Auto insurance is only a 6 month program unlike home insurance which is yearly. When my auto insurance renewed it jumped up. I called my agent and he said because of all the losses in my state (Tn.) they raised everybodys premiums across the board. The company was The Hartford. I change insurance companys when they raise my premium and when I shop for insurance i always inform them that if i have a permium increase and my credit score is 756 i will shop for another company.

mercedes93

really what car ins do u have

mercedes93

countrywide ins is so cheap, n still due a year payment  plan, an i don't  care what anyone  says  your ins price goes buy where you residence  is trust me driving in good faith for 35 yrs.

a good score...?

How could they possibly  generate this score...???

Especially if you have a high deductible, for two vehicles (one new and one older) and the only claim was put in about 3 years ago when someone tore off my front right bumper --- and their insurance company paid of it.... 

There is no way they could say I am at any kind of risk for an auto insurance claim (I also have no DUI or any other tickets on my record), yet I received a mid-890's score.  This is a most interesting use in manipulating data.

Indyinsagent

They no longer create your premiums due to the value of your vehicle.   Very few are ever totaled.  The majority are repaired.  If you have been to an auto mechanic or bodyshop you know that the price per hour is very high.    Ins co's cannot discriminate with individual insured's,  instead you a part of a "class" or "risk" of insured's and you have to carry their burdent  It sucks but true.    Your states consumer protection bureau will tell that discrimination is illegal, even though it hurts you as an individual.    Our taxes at work!

r2927

if you have 890 score on your vantage that, is B mid prime as far as a vantage score is concerned and you should be happy!  In time maybe, within a few months it will be back up in the low 900's by getting your credit utilization dow to 10% or less and your credit cards down to under 30% of available credit line for that card if, in fact that is the case?  willie roberts

Auto score

Good score is 900

Thomas2Thumb

Actually 900 and above is considered "Very Good" for a credit based Auto insurance score. Good is 860 to 899.

I know why auto insurance premiums kept

My auto insurance premiums kept going up because I had  my daughter on my insurance even though all she had was a learner's permit. Now that I have removed her, it has gone down considerably.

Indyinsagent

What company did you have?  A learners permit driver should never be rated.   You should try an independent agent, who has access to several insurance carriers, not just one sucha as a capitve, I.E. State Farm, Allstate, Farmers etc.   If your agent can not tell you the ins and out of your policy or why something is done, MOVE somewhere else.   Shop around!

Indyinsagent

Indyinsagent

NOt sure why my respone did not post.    Any driver with a permit only should not be rated on your policy.  If that is the case,    Shop around.  Look into independent agents that carry several insurance carriers not just one.  I.E. captive agents:  State Farm, AllState, Farmers, Farm Bureau.     Hope this helps.     If i have posted twice and can not see my original, i do apologize. 

tomcat709

Pedro1121, having your daughter on your policy at the age of caution of driving is equal to you signing your name as a co-signer of a mortgage loan, or auto loan.  You agree to pay on her behalf any damages that she can't pay in HER default.  You would then be the point of contact if the payment is not made.  They are actually insuring you to cover her non-payment ALSO.  Not fair but that is why.  Best reason in the world to Never co-sign for Anyone (if she fails on insurance, you as co-signer, score goes down also.  If he, she or you can't afford it, the child needs to get two jobs if they want to drive, or you keep giving in to the crooks.

this is crap

the only way i would make a claim is if someone hit my car and isn`t that why we pay more money for car ins than we do car payments so if something happens we are covered , now i know why people don`t keep coverage on there cars.

Good/bad auto score

I have a 854 for auto score is that bad or good? and I don't even have a car...lol

Thomas2Thumb

854 is considered "Fair". The bottom end of "Good" is 860 based on TU's graph.