Question

RetiredFireGuy

What goes into a mortgage FICO score?
I have a FICO hovering around 735 yet when I apply for a home loan I get a 685. Does anyone have any idea what is so different in the models? I have NO LATES on 5 different mortgages in the last 10 years and only 2 cc lates (3 years ago) yet there is 50 points difference?

Generally the FICO scores we see

on most of the websites that offer them are based on the lat 2 years of your credit history.  As i understand it, explained ny mortgage banker at the time of my last loan,  A mortgage loan is based not on FICO but inhouse scoring by the lender. IT is based on the last 10 years of your credit report. 

Most mortgage lenders do not rely on FICO because the limited view of your credit history.  There are an estimated  300 Credit scoring agencies in the US. Everyone knows the big 3 + FICO but almost every major bank or lender has their own in-house credit scoring model. 

So those old CC late pays may have been the deciding factor. 

Hope that helps

You need to find out what your credit score is from each of the 3 major credit reporting bureaus seperately. Your score from each of these (Transunion, Equifax, Experian) are different and when I got my mortgage, the lender used the middle score reported from all 3 agencies instead of using the highest score being reported.