Question

eyeluvmikyds

What can I do about illegal debts on my credit report? (same company twice)
I am trying to clean up my credit and purchase a home. I have several old debts from when I was young and broke, I am attempting to take care of these now. However the two highest debts are listed under 2 names, to 2 collection agencies, 2 different amounts ($100 difference), entered at 2 different dates (3 months apart). However, I knew the two names to be the same place, when I came home and looked it up online I was right. I called collection agency #1 the officer checked his computer and said that yes, he showed the other companies name. He said this is illegal and I should call the original company. He would not take any more information and told me not to make any payment, but to call the original company the money was owed to. I called original company, they said they were under all new owners and had no old records of anything, and that the 2nd name they are listed under on my report no longer exists. Collection agency #2 told me I should pay them, and they will delete the account, and force the other collection agency to delete it as well. I told her I would get back with her, that I was uncomfortable paying any of it until I understood more what I should do, she was very polite and not at all pushy. I'm sorry I realize this is a lot of information, and kind of confusing but can anyone possibly tell me what I should do next?