Question

CarGuy2015

Upside Down Loan Advice
I am currently in a vehicle loan and upside down by a couple thousand dollars. I am paying 3% interest. I am looking at a current offer of 0% over 72 months on the vehicle I would like to be driving. I am wondering if the 0% offer would make it favorable even though I am upside down by a couple thousand?

Most Helpful Response

Dont get into a cycle of paying more....

Banks NEVER give perfect rates to borrowers because there is ALWAYS risk involved in the lending of money.  However most people also tend to forget that the loan process is a two way street and end up forgetting their own risk involved.  What if you find the car is a lemon 3 years into your loan?  In an upside loan, you are then stuck paying into a loan of two cars with neither of them being the value you are actually putting into them.

IMO, there’s never benefit from being in an upside down loan other than getting a newer car, sooner.  As I’m sure you already know, loan rates are typically structured with loans at lowest risk levels to lenders generating the lowest interest rates, and the loans at higher risk levels receiving extra compensation to cover the additional risk structured in the loan terms.  Upside down loans certainly accomplish gaining additional risk with the second car being rolled in the loan terms, typically forcing extra compensation over the life of the loan as a result. 

Even when the interest rates are in your favor initially, you are usually forced to take a longer term loans, forcing more interest on you overall.  With some loans reaching into 70+ months; just a 1% increase to the rate could force thousands onto your loan over time.  And if the situation above occurs with your car being a lemon, you are then forced to continue the same cycle again with even MORE risk on your next loan.

Hard to say long term, without knowing any of the numbers.  Personally, I think you'd be more upside down in the new car, and there is no benefit to paying off early with 0%, because there is no interest to chase.