Question

BKenneth13

Understanding my present score
I am trying to understand my score. The details are that I originally started an account with Credit Karna with a score of 624. I wanted to build my account and I see that I had a student debt that needed to be taken care of.

Credit Karma made 3 different recommendations to Capital One, and said this would be the best fit for you to start building your credit. Each of those inquiries I was denied by Capital One. Since then my score has went down 100 points. I want to build my score, not bring it down.

With a score of 524, I do not know where to start to try and build on top of the damage that has been done.

Is there any serious advice on how I can start to clean this up.

Do you remember which capital one cards they were?  With a 620 score you should have been able to get a 300 credit limit card from capital one or credit one.  My first card i applied for was with capital one and credit one, both accepted for a $300 credit limit.  

I am a beginner at building credit, but if you have a bank account that you have been using for a little while you can open a secured credit card through that bank, and i believe that is the easiest way to get approved for a credit card.  They take 300 dollars from your savings or checking account for 1 year and it becomes a credit card, you may get the $300 back at the end of the year, i'm not sure.  I just opened one of these myself, i did it all online, but for you, you may want to go in the bank.