Unbelievable What happened to me
We had a credit card, in perfect standing, a few years ago via GM. 2 years ago, that was purchased by Wells Fargo and we received a letter from them informing us of the change. My wife, who manages all the finances, made the auto payment changes and no problems occurred.

About a year ago, it was sold AGAIN, this time to Barclays. This time, we never received any paperwork from either that institution informing us of the change nor from our back indicating that we could no longer pay to this particular account.

Both my wife and I work full time so making auto payments on Credit Cards (of which we only have 2 with medium to low balances and have always been in good standing), Mortgage, and Utilities is very important.

About 5 months ago we received an unusual letter in the mail from a credit agency informing us that we were in collections and owed the entire outstanding balance of $7000 and it was for Barclays. You can imagine our surprise when we saw Barclays listed, someone we didn't even know. Initially we thought it was a mistake and there was some fraud.

That's when I called this company and we were informed it was formerly Wells Fargo Account, and my wife researched it. Apparently, she had talked to BOA, our bank, who said that we would, at the time, need to give them the new information to continue to make payments.

Unfortunately, we never received any information from them nor did we even know WHO had the account at that time.

My credit score was, at the time, 780 and we had done an excellent job of maintaining a very good score. Now, my credit score via TransUnion is 689, but my other two scores are 600 and 598!!!

I can probably pay HALF of that amount up front, but my thinking is, since they already damaged my score, why bother...UNLESS they agree to remove it from my credit reports if I in fact can pay them $3500 (my tiny bonus that I received and planned to save).

Any thoughts on this and if something like this might be worth trying and even accepted?

If I were you, I would write a letter to Barclays and Wells Fargo and request a copy of the letter they should have sent you notifying you of the tranfser/sale of the note.  By law, they have to notify you (I think it is 21 days or something like that) of the change, along with information about when & where to send payments.  Copy all three credit bureaus.  If they don't comply within 30 days, file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at  Be persistent until they correct this error and provide copies of your bank or credit card statement showing you made all the payments on time to everyone you write to.  Best of luck!