Question

briangrossi1

Trying to build credit fast! Student with 3 jobs! Need valuable advice!
I have been renting a room in my brother's house for the past 2 years. There is no paper contract or agreement however I do make a $300 payment due the first of every month. How do I get this to show on my credit report that I am making rent payments?

Second, I am looking at the My Credit Report Card webpage and under the Derogatory Marks tab I am seeing 2 open accounts in collections. How do I find out more information on these accounts? I am looking to pay them off right away and I can do pay them off right now but I do not know how to find out about these accounts. No one is calling me asking for money and I am not receiving any mail from a collection's agency.

Order the 3 credit reports

Since you do not know where the derogatory remarks came from, your best choice is to order all 3 credit reports (freecreditreport.com) and go over them very carefully.  It's not unusual to find mistakes on one's credit report but it IS our responsibility to make sure all information on our credit reports is correct. So do not pay a cent on any of them because they most likely are not yours.  You'll find out for sure after checking the credit reports.

Unfortunately, ontime rent payments are not part ofyour credit score....