Question

nysuke2

Transunion Credit Score Dropped
My score from Transunion dropped 29 points, while my Equifax score went up si
43 points.

Does not make sense, as the latest changes of 5 total, were 2 hard inquires from 2015 falling off and minor credit debt reduction via reporting of 2 March minimum payments, plus the massive pay down of my 2nd newest credit card from First Premier in preparation of closing it down (previously overlimit due to exorbitant user fees, but never been 30 or more days late).

My highest credit account was paid down to $367 from $4,062 ($4,250 limit), which doesn't get reported for 6 days and some other paid down accounts.

Credit Karma has recognized my other April higher payments, which previously helped my TU score, only for it to fall mysteriously on 04/25. The only account changes I feel could be related to this negative are FP Bank going from a $624 balance to -$45 balance (credited complimentary $45 after being tricked not to close my account), now $0.00 as of 04/26 (spent extra $45).

All the other accounts I am planning to close, are my youngest in age at 1.5-2 years (oldest is almost 8 years) and will only boost my average age of accounts if paid off and closed. I am only keeping some of them open, that do not have annual fees to lower my utilization.

Please help me understand why my TU score was lowered with no dismal information to report, yet my Equifax score continues to improve? It is infuriating, as the score simulator and recommendations are highly dependent on the TU score.

I have 10 credit card accounts, of which 7 have balances, a few credit line accounts, and 2 loans (younger one soon to be closed).

Closing accounts is not the best move to help your credit, it usually brings harm to your credit. While the "average age of accounts" may improve here with Vantage scores, it will not change anything with FICO scores (the important scores). I suggest that you quit worrying so much about the Vantage scores that you get here, who cares what they do, most lenders are never going to look at them. If you are truly concerned about your credit scores, purchase a FICO score subscriptioin somewhere. And, be sure to make changes to appease FICO, not Vantage.