Question

NighttimesWonders

The Cable Bill is in my name, and I did not sign up for this...I'm worried.
My father setup an internet plan with Charter, under my name. I was at work during the entire thing, and he explained to me that he would have it changed out of my name within the next month. Yet, it has been just about 2-4 months now, and he still has not had it changed out of my name.

He claims that we are finally going to get it changed out of my name this Tuesday (January 3rd, 2017.) However, it has been brought to my attention that he has been only paying the "minimum" instead of the entire thing. Now, I don't know much about credit, or credit scores, but I'm extremely worried that this is negatively affecting my credit.

I don't know what I should do, and I really want to know how badly this could be affecting my credit.

It's so strange to me because you'd think that a company would want to see your ID or something to know that you're who you claim to be, but I guess not...

Most Helpful Response

first of all, utilities generally

do not get reported unless they go to collections.  so there isn't any immediate danger of him ruining your credit.  

Second, your father has commited a felony by using your name to set up this account. you should make him aware of that.  I assume that he could not use his own name because his credit is poor, so if I were you,  I would insist that he take it out of your name immediately.  Since he is only paying the minimum it is probably more than he can afford each month. you didn't mention weather your father was elderly, living on a fixed income, or still working and just not paying.   

Of corse you can call Charter and tell them that he used you name illegally and they will shut off the service and take your name off the account and go after him for it. 

The other option here is for you to take the moral  high road, pay the bill each month yourself and consider it partial repayment for what your parents doled out to take care of you in your first years of life.   

I agree with the other poster.

You can also call Charter and close the account, then pay off the balance.